Review of Adoka Son

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Review of Adoka Son

Post by grace ruhara »

Adoka Son by Ad'Obe One depicts the evolution of cultural practices as they intersect with foreign influences showing through the understanding of societal dynamics.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 353

Post by Tars »

Unfortunately, I will have to pass this book, because not only I am not interested in the specifics of African culture and traditions, I don't like memoirs as a genre at all. To me, it always feels like an intruding on privacy, even though it is written by the people who lived those experiences themselves. I don't over share and avoid sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.
Sargam Talreja
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sargam-talreja.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Sargam Talreja »

The book eloquently depicts the author's childhood while also offering insights into African culture, heritage, and the impact of intersecting cultural beliefs on individuals. Nice review.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Arcadia by Stanley Michelsen

Post by Veronica Hunter »

In 'Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African,' Ad’Obe Obe masterfully weaves together personal anecdotes and cultural insights, offering a heartfelt portrayal of life in rural Africa. This memoir is a testament to the resilience and richness of African heritage. Congrats on the botd.
Sheen Jenny
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Sheen Jenny »

The vivid portrayal of the author's childhood experiences in Ogobia truly brings the setting to life, offering readers a glimpse into the rich tapestry of African traditions and customs
Tejas Koli
Favorite Book: The Great Migration
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tejas-koli.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 140%

Post by Tejas Koli »

"Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African" by Ad’Obe Obe sounds like a captivating journey through African traditions and cultural intersections. From the author's childhood in Ogobia to the complexities of family relationships and the influence of foreign customs, this book promises to offer a rich exploration of Nigerian heritage. I'm adding it to my reading list for its insightful portrayal of cultural practices and familial bonds. Thanks for the recommendation!
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Chad Anthony »

The book's exploration of African traditions, rituals, and naming customs is intriguing. It offers a glimpse into the complexities of cultural evolution and how external influences shape local customs. The incorporation of folklore adds a layer of authenticity and cultural depth to the storytelling.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading: Words of Weedsdom
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

The review vividly captures the cultural richness of Ad’Obe Obe's childhood memoirs, drawing readers into a world of Nigerian traditions and the impact of European influences. The portrayal of family dynamics and societal changes adds depth to the narrative, making it a compelling read.
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Michael Gambo »

"Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African" beautifully captures the essence of African tradition and the complexities of cultural intersections. This memoir offers a valuable perspective on the enduring importance of heritage and identity in a rapidly changing world.
I believe in something greater than myself.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: The Eye of the Bedbug by Allan Davis

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

Ad’Obe Obe's 'Adoka Son' is a poignant and evocative memoir that celebrates the beauty and complexity of African childhood. Through heartfelt storytelling, the author invites readers to experience the joys, challenges, and cultural nuances of life in Ogobia.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

This book appears to offer an intriguing memoir, particularly highlighted by its exploration of tradition and relationships, which immediately captured my interest.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

It's refreshing to see such a genuine portrayal of African heritage and the resilience of familial bonds. This book truly resonates with me on a personal level.
byrondsouza
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by byrondsouza »

Adoka Son by Ad'Obe Obe is a book where the author shares his childhood stories along with some traditions that were followed in Nigeria. The spirit of the community was uncompromising. "As the he-goat aroma irradiates our soil, So may your roots and branches, As it has always been since time immemorial, As you continue to give protection to your children wherever they may be, Forever and forever!" One of the poem I liked from this book. If you want to know more about Nigerian culture and the author's life this book is a good read. Congrats on BOTD!!
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Lessons Earned by Nicole Ricci

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

Adoka Son is a book showcasing the African culture and Nigeria. Great job by the author. Congratulations on BOTD.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Eye of The Beholder by J.M. Stenfors

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I understand the author's need to capture his unique childhood and his community's culture and traditions in this book, as well as the influence of European customs in that life, because everything is ever-changing. Congrats on BOTD!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”