Review of Running between trees

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of Running between trees

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running between trees" by Yvette Anih.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Samira, who is a psychologist, volunteers at a center where autistic children are taken care of. Samira narrates her experiences in America and her recollection of her life before immigration. Samira is a keen woman who, after graduating from the University of Pittsburgh, meets with Professor Bodorf, her favorite instructor, for career guidance. While volunteering and adapting to American life, she continues her relationship with Midowa, her boyfriend in Nigeria. Samira recollects stories of her mother’s family, including how her mother and aunt, who are just 5 years older, were born as a result of her grandmother’s nonchalant attitude. Samira’s thoughts on her career and relationship with Midowa were uncertain until she had to go back to Nigeria for a program about autism. Will there be a happy ending? Does she go ahead with her autism journey? I bought a copy of this book and read about Samira.

Running Between Trees, written by Gogo C. Okeke, is a 206-page fictional novel featuring career, relationships, autism, country similarities and differences, and family. Gogo, a Nigerian writer, relates to the minds of some Nigerians abroad in this novel using the character Samira. The book’s title matched the whole story of Samira being confused about his career and love life.

There are so many things I loved and enjoyed while reading this book. I love the author’s openness to using popular Nigerian words in dialogues. The part where Aunty Zubaida and Samira were discussing Nigerian words spoken in twos blew my mind. I couldn’t stop laughing at how real it was. I enjoyed reading the relationship talks between Samira and Midowa and how uncomfortable they were before Samira traveled back to Nigeria. This particular part made me learn that relationships get weird if one party is separated from the other. I could also see the author trying to downplay the importance of making meaningful relationships. Through Samira's mother’s friend, Mrs. Dopesi, Samira was able to go for the autism program that took her back to Nigeria.

It is so funny that I had more favorite characters in the story. Samira’s aunt, Zubaida; her friends, Nayana and Stella; and her boyfriend, Midowa. The four of them were active and made an impact on the story. I was intrigued by the way Aunty Zubaida lived her life without being bothered by her sickle cell disease. I was fascinated with how Midowa kept being supportive and engaging whenever Samira was speaking about autism to him. The least interesting character I can talk about is Grandma Ufi. It is aching knowing how weird of a mother she is to Samurai’s mother and aunt.

There was nothing I disliked in the book. I found two errors while reading this professionally edited book. However, I will still rate the book five out of five stars for its excellent structure and characterization. I will gladly recommend it to Nigerians abroad and lovers of fictional stories. The book is suitable for all readers, young and old.

Running between trees
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”