Review of Taming Jackal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Inspirational Love by Vernon John Sinnott

Review of Taming Jackal

Post by Jane Honda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taming Jackal" by Isabel Peña Alfaro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jump into city life with Taming Jackal by Isabel Pena Alfaro. It's like looking in a mirror at how people hide their struggles in the middle of busy city life. Follow Martina as she deals with her inner battles, and you’ll discover how our daily lives often hide what’s really going on inside.

Martina is the protagonist of this book, and her story is filled with different emotions. She immigrated to the U.S. from a town in Puebla. She wasn’t from a buoyant family. She seemed a bit different from those at school and was quite in order for her to blend in. Ellis was kind of the opposite of Martina, as he was more outspoken. Martina and Ellis met in the early 2000s through one of the college courses they both loved. Their love story was a blend of laughter and shared secrets, creating a heaven amidst the chaos of the world. What would be the fate of this perfect love story? Martina also went ahead to narrate how she almost committed suicide during her brother’s funeral due to the voices she battled with. Martina looks cool outside but battels a lot inside. How would she tame this demon, Jackal? Grab a copy to find out.

In this book, Martina, the protagonist, feels like a real person. Her struggles, laughter, and pain resonate with readers, making the story genuinely relatable. This could be seen in how she shares her thoughts on therapy and the internal battles she faces. I also admire the bonds between Martina and her friends, especially Sophie; it adds a heartwarming layer to the story. Her dream about Martina in a canoe is a touching moment that showcases the depth of their connection. The author's simple and direct writing style makes the book accessible. Complex emotions and profound thoughts are expressed in a way that is easy to understand. These positive aspects of this book and more, which I didn’t include here, make this book a compelling read. Just to wrap it up, I didn’t encounter any errors while reading, which shows that the book was properly edited.

I feel like this book contains a lot of sensitive topics like mental health struggles, depression, and suicide. The elaborate sexual fantasy between Martina and Ellis seemed to overshadow the main theme of this book at some point, which wasn’t something I like. Ellis, despite being a significant character in this book, might leave readers wanting more insight into his background and motivations, as his character wasn’t well developed. Following the dislikes, I would rate this book four out of five stars. I would also recommend this book to those who have faced or are currently dealing with mental health challenges.

Taming Jackal
View: on Bookshelves
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: The Incarnation by Arthur Telling

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides helpful insight into the book "Taming Jackal" by Isabel Pena Alfaro. It offers a sufficient overview of the protagonist's struggles and emotions, highlighting relatable themes of mental health. The reviewer acknowledges the book's positive aspects, such as the relatable characters and accessible writing style. However, they mention that the elaborate sexual fantasy overpowers the main theme and desires more development for a particular character. Overall, the review seems helpful and could motivate individuals dealing with mental health challenges to consider adding this book to their library.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Review: The review of "Taming Jackal" by Isabel Pena Alfaro highlights the relatable struggles of the protagonist, Martina, and explores sensitive topics like mental health, depression, and suicide. The author's simple writing style and well-edited work make it an accessible and compelling read. However, some readers might find the sexual fantasy overshadowing the main theme, and the character development of Ellis lacking. Overall, the book seems to be a good read for those dealing with mental health challenges.
Kelvin Suraj
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Kelvin Suraj »

The book sounds interesting but i will give this a pass. Thanks for the review well delivered.
Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malachi-chukwuebuka-nelson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson »

The reviewer acknowledges the book's positive aspects, such as the relatable characters and accessible writing style. Thanks for review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”