Review of A Solitary Wife and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olga Malosh
Currently Reading: S44 Scotland Street
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-malosh.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of A Solitary Wife and Other Stories

Post by Olga Malosh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Solitary Wife and Other Stories" by Lloyd Lim.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lloyd Lim’s book A Solitary Wife and Other Stories is the perfect companion for a rainy afternoon. Readers can immerse themselves in its cozy short stories while wrapped in a warm blanket and savoring a cup of herbal tea, all without straining their intellectual reserves. Mr. Lim employs simple vocabulary and sets the stage with minimal details to draw attention to the feelings or actions of the characters. The characters are relatable and are simple everyday people. In one of the stories, the reader is drawn into the thoughts of a cop who balances the attraction to a female partner with the demands of a challenging investigation. In another, the reader sympathizes with the ex-wife of a traumatized veteran who, in an attempt to heal from his daughter’s death, embarks on a journey that proves his marriage irrelevant. A reader’s feelings undergo metamorphosis as they follow the story of an elderly lady missing from the nursing home. From a deep concern for the elderly woman’s well-being and the panic felt by her daughter, the reader is suddenly thrown into a mixture of relief and puzzlement as it becomes apparent that the elderly lady is not just fine physically but has found a temporary calling in becoming a criminal.

Readers can easily connect with the content. Despite its simplicity, the writing possesses a subtle depth, leading the audience to uncover surprising insights or revelations. It is an artful balance of approachability and the revelation of thought-provoking or unexpected ideas.

There are several things I liked about the book. Firstly, the stories are versatile, showcasing various tales—some spanning decades, some describing one short evening out; some focused on actions, some on philosophical reflections. Secondly, I liked how short the stories are and how easy it is for readers to get to know the characters. Finally, the book's format is conducive to a relaxed, leisurely pastime. The font is large, and the cover showcases the clouds, representing the book’s dreamy vibe.

The only thing I did not like about the book is that it was not professionally edited. I noticed a few grammatical errors. Because of this, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. This book will be an easy, enjoyable read for anyone wanting to unwind and relax with a book.

A Solitary Wife and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review portrays "A Solitary Wife and Other Stories" by Share Lloyd Lim as a perfect companion for a cozy afternoon read. The book features relatable characters and simple everyday stories that draw readers in easily. It offers a balance between approachability and thought-provoking ideas, with versatile tales spanning various timelines. The reviewer particularly enjoyed the short story format and the relaxed vibe of the book. However, they noted some grammatical errors that affected their overall rating. Despite this, the book appears to be a good choice for those seeking an easy and enjoyable read to unwind and relax with.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Nice review
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The way the stories span different timelines and delve into diverse themes really caught my interest. I appreciate how the simplicity of the writing style doesn't compromise the depth of the characters and their experiences. Plus, the book's relaxed format with short stories and a dreamy cover promises a perfect escape for a cozy evening. Thanks for the recommendation.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I liked your opener about reading this while cozy! Nice addition.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”