Review of If I Could Wish

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chad Anthony
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Alpha Max by Mark A. Rayner

Review of If I Could Wish

Post by Chad Anthony »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If I Could Wish" by Owen Carrol.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In this book, the writer lets out how she feels about life. In all her life, all she knows is pain and sorrow. Her dad died of untreated mould infection. Her mother, who never loved her father, married another man. When she got tired of her stepdad's homeschooling, she yearned to go to high school, but her mother disowned her. She was left alone to face life at the tender age of 13. She moved to the next city, where she met Laura. Laura, the sweet soul. She was there for her. They hustled together and made life easier for themselves until a fateful day when the unexpected happened.

This book relishes the lives both of them lived, how the writer sees life, and what led them to this suicide note. This book is 15 pages long, with extra pages for a journal (very thoughtful). I said it was very thoughtful because there is no way you will read this book and not reflect on life. Many of us have lived in such pain that it has become second nature. We tried to find something worthwhile to live for, but the writer found nothing to live for. She claimed everyone who has been her friend has either committed suicide or entered a deeper depression. I don't know why she thinks this way, but then, when we try to see something good in us and we can't, nothing will be good from our perspective.

At some point, the writer made some valid points. The people around us determine how we see ourselves. Some people make our lives stressful. Religion, which should be a haven, has even complicated the issue. This book contained some philosophies about life. They may be what we have known before, but reading them from a suicide note makes them sound different.

The part I love most in this book is the part where Laura gave her a shoulder to lean on; she was there for her even though she had baggage and burdens to deal with; she was her backbone; she made her believe in life again. This part really touched me, as we all need people who'd be there to have our backs; encouragement and motivation are needed to live a healthy life as life is full of ups and downs; the road will be rough sometimes and one can't walk it alone; when we fall, who would help us get up?

I like that the writer could touch my emotions with this book. It is very short but powerful. It made me see life differently and made me thankful for the life I am living. I know there are people at the very extreme end of the spectrum; however, reading this book brought me back to reality. There are things that I knew before, but this book brought them back to my consciousness. A simple hello to a stranger could go a long way towards making them happy for the rest of the day. To an extent, not being judgmental will ensure we care about other people. Smile at people while you say hi, and listen genuinely to what they have to say if they choose to trust you. When your friends say they are fine, try to always ensure and preserve that they are truly fine. That is the least we could do for our brother.

The book is well written. I found two errors in it, and I found no reason to dislike it. Based on this, I will be rating If I Could Wish by Owen Carrol 5 out of 5 stars for how relevant it is. In the end, there are two contacts that people who need to talk to someone could go through. I like that idea too.

If I Could Wish
View: on Bookshelves
Jessica Azuka
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Jessica Azuka »

Things seemed to be moving from grass to grace until I read another sentence in the review. What really happened? Is it good or bad? I am looking forward to reading this book to find out.
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Robert Cortes »

As a prospective reader, "If I Could Wish" by Owen Carrol promises to be a deeply moving and introspective read. The synopsis reveals a narrative that explores themes of pain, loss, and the search for meaning in life. The protagonist's journey, from facing abandonment and adversity to finding solace in friendship with Laura, seems like a compelling and emotional ride. The book's brevity and powerful message suggest it will leave a lasting impact, prompting reflection on one's own life experiences and relationships. Despite the protagonist's struggles, the narrative appears to offer hope and insight into the importance of human connection and support during difficult times. With only minor errors noted, the book seems well-written and thought-provoking, making it a potentially powerful read for those seeking a deeper understanding of life's challenges and the value of compassion and empathy. Overall, "If I Could Wish" seems like a relevant and impactful book that I would be eager to explore, possibly offering valuable insights and perspective on my own journey.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”