Jude the Obscure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lekha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Jude the Obscure

Post by Lekha »

Hi,
I read this book as a teenager, I was surpried to learn that this novel was recieved with such harsh treatment from critics that Thomas hardy never wrote a novel again! Time has changed yet I felt this book is worth a discussion even today!
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

This is a book I vowed not to read after watching the film. I nearly slit my wrists...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
karenlouise

Post by karenlouise »

It was taken off UK school required reading lists as it was felt to be too depressing. I however am very attached to the book, Hardy is one of my favourite authors and his use of language and emotion in this novel really enlivened my interest in literature, and reiterated to me the power of the written word. Also its effect on society. Having said that I don't know anyone else who has enjoyed (not sure enjoyed is the right word) the book, or even managed to finish it which I think is a shame but you do have to be quite strong to manage it. Powerful stuff.
Lekha

Post by Lekha »

It is not an easy read, but somehow I didn’t find it shockingly depressing! Even I enjoyed reading it. Jude’s enduring desire shines like a tiny distant star in a dark night sky through out the book! Of all the success stories it was different to read on those who try hard but yet somehow can’t make it to there!
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

I really enjoyed this book when I read it a few years ago. I don't think it's all that difficult of a read either. I have to admit that the scene with the kids is pretty shocking--just as promised on the back of the Barnes and Noble copy I bought. I would like to pick up more of Thomas Hardy's books in the future. This was the first I read of his.
Montetre'

Post by Montetre' »

Not a bad read!
San1968

Post by San1968 »

I read this book a few year ago and was enthralled by it, as you say is "enjoy" the right word, probably not. It is very powerful but I was gutted by some of the scenes and I found it stayed with me for a long time. The film I think is unnecessarily depressing and the grey texture throughout adds to this. My husband watched the film and vowed never to read the book, labelling it the most depressing story ever. But for me the poetry of Hardy's writing and his love of language made it a stunning book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”