Review of Rosehips in June

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: What I Hear When God Speaks by Allen J Brown Jr

Review of Rosehips in June

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rosehips in June" by Mike Bennett, COL (ret).]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you intrigued by the inner workings of war and militaristic styles? Fascinated and appreciative of the arduous lives of military professionals? Do you often wish you had a front-row seat to the behind-the-scenes events that underlie real-world events? If yes, then this 129-page fictional expository work, Rosehips in June by Mike Bennet, is uniquely tailored for you.

The story begins by introducing us to a dynamic, fearless, and smart-thinking soldier known as Ryder Beaton. Beaton is a WWII soldier who excels in his military career because of how committed he is to growth. As the story unfolds, we see that he is called to higher duty from retirement when he is chosen to become the warlock during the Reagan administration in the heat of raging cold war politics. A tale of espionage, strategic intelligence, tactical training, and nuclear weaponry, Rosehips in June details a fictional telling of the world's most influential and intelligent operative who is dedicated to the destruction of dangerous alliances and terrorism as he brandishes computerized innovations, powerful teamwork, leveraging on human intelligence, powers of observation, and the intricate threads of special operations. The warlock is spirited, patriotic, and innovative, dedicated to the core values of national interest. Do his values align with the powerful political structures in place? What does he do when the presidential administration displays a shocking betrayal that is incompatible with who he has become? Read up to find out.

In this thrilling collection of military escapades, Mike Bennet does a fine job of interweaving war experiences from the WWII era to the 2000s through impressive storytelling. From Thailand to Vietnam, Chechnya, and Iran, the author intersperses technical military concepts with brave and compelling characters who go toe to toe with death through risky missions like dangerous extractions, covert operations, morbid assassinations, and shootouts. Characterization is the lifeblood of this book. The soldiers assigned to the most chaotic parts of the world over several decades are smart, committed, forward-thinking, focused, and intelligent, meeting danger and obstacles head-on with impressive tenacity. The author’s vast and wide-ranging firsthand knowledge of military terms, tactics, strategies, and terminologies shines through in every sentence. Exposition, rich wordplay, and vivid descriptions are the grand strengths of this book, as they reveal the stealth, clandestine tactics, multiple covers, and layers that are integral to several operations intermixed with real-world occurrences. The actions of the characters play vividly across the mind’s eye of the reader.

My favorite characters were Bill Casey and Ryder Beaton. Casey is an innovative thinker, while Ryder is a tenacious doer. Their collaboration on WARLOCK proves that these are the two kinds of people the world needs the most if it is to become a better place. Ryder’s growth process is continual, which proves that we can always transcend into better versions of ourselves because the growth process never truly ends as long as we stay committed to it. He is true to his beliefs, dauntless in the face of challenges, and built for complexities. Additionally, he is a staunch patriot who is invested in his nation’s national interests. While Rosehips in June is undoubtedly a remarkable piece of work, I felt it could have been better edited, as several errors impeded my reading process. This is my predominant reason for giving it 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book not just for military enthusiasts but also for skeptics who question politics from a partisan and stereotypical perspective. While it is true that they might find justification in some of their political beliefs, I hope that the compelling character of the warlock can make them understand and appreciate the sacrifices several operatives and soldiers make to protect the nation from external threats.

Rosehips in June
View: on Bookshelves
Aleena Augustine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Your detailed review of 'Rosehips in June' has given me valuable insights into the book's strengths and areas for improvement. Though I won't be picking it up, your thorough analysis helps me understand the essence of the story and its appeal. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review provides a positive and enthusiastic assessment of "Rosehips in June" by Mike Bennet, a fictional expository work that delves into the world of warfare and military operations. The reviewer commends the author's storytelling, character development, and in-depth knowledge of military tactics. However, they mention that the book could have benefited from better editing. Overall, the review suggests that the book is a captivating read for both military enthusiasts and skeptics interested in politics, highlighting the sacrifices made by operatives and soldiers to protect the nation.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”