Review of Daddy’s Special Little Girl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rëâl Dūdé
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-l-d-d.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez

Review of Daddy’s Special Little Girl

Post by Rëâl Dūdé »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daddy’s Special Little Girl" by Jody Lynn Enders.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Daddy's Special Little Girl, Jody Lynn Enders recounts her ordeal of enduring and triumphing over the sexual abuse inflicted by her drunken father throughout her early years. Jody is a member of a family of six children, in addition to her good mother and her abusive and alcoholic father. In her childhood days until she was fourteen years old, Jody was molested by her dad, who kept on promising her that she's her daddy's special daughter. Aside from that, on several occasions, the said father abuses his children and his wife verbally, making for a violent household.

Along the way, Jody gets married and leaves the house; years later, her niece falls victim to her dad's sexual molestation. This led to a cascade of revelations of what had happened throughout their childhood. The story further tracks a trajectory of infidelity, divorce, guilt, anger, forgiveness, and self-recovery. Jody went through phases of rage, irritation, bitterness, guilt, disappointment, betrayal, pain, and terror as a child. She had many years of financial instability, loneliness, and heartbreaking sadness and despair as an adult. Ultimately, her trust in God has enabled her to undergo an incredible healing process.

I like many aspects of this book. Firstly, I appreciate the author's courage to venture into writing about her abusive childhood. Despite the trauma involved, the author was quite descriptive in telling of the vicissitudes that beset her both as a child, a teenager, and an adult. I enjoyed the author's style of writing; it was very straightforward and not bulky, yet it captured the very essence of the story. I also appreciate the author's use of conventional words, for it eased my reading and made the story less time-demanding. The educational aspect of this book is another thing I really appreciate. This book has a lot to teach, one of which is for children or teenagers who are being molested or abused in one way or another to speak up and for those who have been living with low self-esteem to acknowledge the hope and significant possibility of a better future.

I don't dislike anything about this book. This story harbours themes of abuse, love, forgiveness, self-recovery, and hope. I didn't notice any errors while reading this book, which suggests that it was exceptionally well-edited.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for the reasons I mentioned above. I recommend this book to anyone who is living in the stigma of sexual abuse and to anyone who is living in low self-esteem as a result of verbal abuse, for I believe this book will offer a lot of assistance for self-recovery.

Daddy’s Special Little Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”