Review of Summer with collateral damage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Review of Summer with collateral damage

Post by Alex Lynn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Summer with collateral damage" by Denise Ann Stock.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alyse tells the story of what happened during the summer in her beautiful neighborhood in Jacksonville Beach. She is the only child of her parents, and in this story, she lives with her friend Anna, but not too far from where her parents live. Both Anna and Alyse are best friends from affluent and wealthy families. There were rumors about Anna’s family being involved in shootouts with cartels, but nobody knew the exact story. Alyse is an inquisitive person who tries to get information about events. She remembered one time asking her mother about the issues with the Connors (Anna’s parents), but her mother dismissed the issue.

Alyse worked as an intern for Johnson’s law firm. Being a lawyer, Alyse was happy she opted for the uneventful aspect of law as an estate planning attorney who draws up trusts and wills. In her narration, Alyse delved shortly into her past relationship with Jason; they were living together, but Alyse was not content with Jason’s lifestyle; she wanted more. Jason seemed carefree; he loved partying with less attention to business. They had met when Alyse was in her second year of college, and they dated for four years. They broke up on mutual grounds, and when their rent elapsed, Alyse and Anna found a place at the beach and started living together.

Denise Ann Stock's Summer with collateral damage delves into the world of Alyse Johnson, born into affluence and leading a normal life. The narrative unfolds a sequence of challenges Alyse encounters in her pursuit of a well-rounded romantic connection, one she yearns for. The apex of her struggles involves navigating a potential theft amidst the backdrop of an impending hurricane. The storyline is marked by elements of crime, action, and a mild romance.

The story is interestingly told from the first-person perspective of Alyse Johnson, who is the main character. It was a time well spent reading the story of Alyse, as the narrating style gave me a sense of engagement. The suspenseful quality of the story is another token of its entertaining features. The author kept it straight; there was no mystery. But the story came out unpredicted. However, I have an area of dissatisfaction with the book. I didn't like how the story ended. I was waiting to read the romance between Alyse and Christian, as they were only just building their romantic relationship throughout the story. I felt there was room for more intimacy between the duo. Also, in the scene where Mike shot Christian, there was no story about him surviving or someone coming to his rescue. Therefore, I felt there was more to the story, probably in the next book, as this book is referred to as book 4. But I prefer a standalone story so that I don't have to read the next book to get the satisfaction I want. I will, therefore, be rating the book 4 out of 5 stars. If the author can reshape the plotline so that it can stand alone, I'll give it a full-star rating. The book has no grammar errors, as it is edited exceptionally well. I'll recommend it to lovers of action scenes with a mild touch of romance.

Summer with collateral damage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

The book shines a light on the lives of Alyse and Anna born into wealthy families. I love the aspects of crime and romance which the book touches and as a lover of crime thrillers, I will certainly add this to my list.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review, it seems that "Summer with Collateral Damage" is an interesting read. The first-person perspective of the main character, Alyse Johnson, engages the reader in her struggles and the suspenseful storyline. However, there are some areas of dissatisfaction, such as the unsatisfying ending and the lack of closure for certain characters. Overall, the book is well-written with no grammar errors, making it a recommended choice for readers who enjoy action scenes with a touch of romance.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”