Review of Magic of Change

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: The Overwhelming Love Of God Amidst Silent Screams In 12Ways by Janelle Sealy-Francis
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 12%

Review of Magic of Change

Post by Kigen Valarie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Magic of Change" by Sylva Kanderal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Rafael was successful and had an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. This made him a good listener and well-liked by the people he met. He had a successful business in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals and loved putting his work first. In contrast to this good side, Rafael had a bad trait. He viewed women as objects and had a poor social life. He liked dominating them and steering them to his side, and they fell for his charming side, not knowing they stood no chance. Cristina had been raised well and with good social manners. She helped the street children in Rio and even went with her mother to church. Unfortunately, her heart had just been broken by Fabianno. A man who had chosen his work over her and did not have the decency to tell her broke up with her via a letter. On the night of the carnival, Rafael sees Cristina, a textbook definition of beauty, and Rafael wants to take her up as a new challenge. The question of whether he will succeed in luring Cristina and how Cristina's life is affected by this not-so-fortunate encounter is one you have to find out.

Magic of Change: A Tale of Love, Deceit, and Self-Discovery by Sylva Kanderal was well thought out, carefully planned, and sure to keep the reader engaged. The book sets off in 2015 before explaining what happened around 28 years ago, leading to the current events. This made the book slow but informative and engaging. This also played a role in carefully building all the characters in the book. The author has provided a timeline of events, and based on the nature and changes in the book, this was a well-welcome idea.

The aspects of change and circumstances have been well depicted in the book, and the relationships built have a strong background and history. The book explores many destinations around the world. Many of these are in Brazil. Others include Dakar, Cairo, Lagos, Rome, Liverpool, Lisbon, etc. Therefore, the multicultural aspect came out clearly, creating an added advantage for the reader. This brought about different themes in the book, including much-loved football, the Olympics, and art.

However, I went through some hurdles while reading this book. The aspect that needs to be better tackled is the characters' emotions. I did not feel connected to the characters. With the events in this book, a lot of scenes have to be well-developed. This ensures that the reader has a connection with the characters' emotions. This was, however, only moderately done, making the book's content seem flat. Additionally, some conversations took work to understand. I concluded this to be a mildly explored conversation technique, with some sentences appearing to have an ambiguous presentation of ideas. This is pretty hard to define, and I'd love to give an example of a sentence that states, "Morning in the evening." There are many others like this, and I cannot categorize them as grammar errors.

I rate Magic of Change: A Tale of Love, Deceit, and Self-Discover by Sylva Kanderal 3 out of 5 stars. This is a good story that would make an interesting casual read and receives credit for well-developed characters and the development of other themes. However, besides the negative aspects I mentioned earlier, the book was poorly edited, and sometimes the plot was predictable. The aspect of suspense would also have to be perfected. For these aspects, I deducted two stars.

Readers interested in stories about getting yourself up even despite the challenges, romantic stories, relationships, and casual reads will find this appropriate. However, those who love books that depict strong emotions and thrills will not find the book fascinating.

Magic of Change
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Death Origins by Laurent Cousineau

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I love romance and I wonder if this will play out the way stories like this usually do. The storyline seems intriguing and the book is also inspiring. I loved your review.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review of "Magic of Change: A Tale of Love, Deceit, and Self-Discovery" by Sylva Kanderal, it appears to be a moderately enjoyable read. The story is well-planned, engaging and explores various locations and themes. However, the emotional connection with the characters is lacking, and some conversations can be difficult to understand. The book could benefit from improved editing, more suspense, and less predictability in the plot. Overall, it would appeal to readers interested in casual and romantic stories, but those seeking strong emotions and thrills might not find it compelling.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: The Overwhelming Love Of God Amidst Silent Screams In 12Ways by Janelle Sealy-Francis
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

Lisa P Cowling wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:59 I love romance and I wonder if this will play out the way stories like this usually do. The storyline seems intriguing and the book is also inspiring. I loved your review.
Thank you, Lisa! The plot of this book is worth reading, although it might have a few loop holes, it has all the fascinating characters of a good romance story. You should try it.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”