Review of The Young Samaritan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Review of The Young Samaritan

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Young Samaritan" by J. Schuyler Sprowles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Young Samaritan is a fictional novel written by J. Schuyler Sprowles. The book is set in the days of Jesus Christ and follows a young Samaritan boy named Joshua as his life situation thrusts him into quite the adventure.

As the book begins, we are introduced to Joshua, his mother, his three sisters, and his abusive stepfather, Langer. One fateful day, Langer drunkenly demands that Joshua be thrown out of his home. Left with no other options, Joshua must journey to stay with his uncle, Cyrus, who is reclusive and in abject poverty. Along the way, he gains new experiences and meets new people. However, while staying with his uncle, he is brought into contact with Jesus and his followers. What impact will this meeting have on his tumultuous life? How will this shape events recorded in Scripture? Find out in this intriguing book.

There are a lot of things I like about this book. I liked the very premise of the book. The author does well to take a small, singular portion of Scripture and flesh out an entire story that is very plausible given the circumstances. The book also highlights the importance of trusting God even in dire situations. This is seen with Mother and her companions. It also shows the transformative power of Jesus in a man's life, as seen with Cyrus. I liked the language used throughout the book. It was simple and easy to follow. The conversation between the characters was also good. I also appreciated the brevity of some chapters, as they were straight to the point and never dragged out.

My least favorite thing about the book was Langer's character arc. Considering how the book's earlier chapters shaped him, I expected more from his character. However, it did not take away from the quality of the book.

I found only one error in this book. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I found the book engaging and interesting. I recommend it to lovers of Christian fiction books.

The Young Samaritan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The way the author expands on a small Scripture portion to weave a plausible and engaging story is intriguing. I'm excited about the emphasis on trust in dire situations and the transformative power of Jesus. The simplicity of language and concise chapters, as you mentioned, adds to the appeal. Thanks for the recommendation – I'm definitely adding this to my reading list!
Dancan OTIENO 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Dancan OTIENO 2 »

The book revolves around a young man by the name Joshua,, with his mother,three siblings and his stepfather Langer.
One fateful day Langer his step father who is a drunkerd demands he walk away from his home,he only has one option which is to go to his uncle who is also languishing in poverty.on his way he Meets Jesus and his disciples and decides to join them.the author tells us how Joshua had some faith despite all the obstacle he faced in life I would recommend,, interested reader to go for this amazing book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”