Review of Lies, Love, Blood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Review of Lies, Love, Blood

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lies, Love, Blood" by Bill Fairbairn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lies, Love, Blood by Bill Fairbairn chronicles the life of Daiga Foncham, a young man from Cameroon who secured a scholarship to pursue a language course in Germany. Before leaving for Germany, Daiga had romantic ties with Mungwi, whom he promised to marry. Daiga's stay in Germany became more prolonged than intended, causing worry among the residents back home. He eventually returns after a long and extremely eventful stay in Germany to marry his betrothed, but did things go as smoothly as planned?

I loved how well the author described scenarios and tried to make the readers understand the psychological state of the characters, especially Daiga when he was in desperate times. It made his characters look more human and likable. This skill by the author also caused me to engage with the book on different occasions.

The author's sense of humor was evident in the fictional book as he occasionally weaved in humor in some conversations. They were really nice to spot out. The arrangement of the plot also contributed positively to the book. The author began the story from Daiga's return and then went back to his trip and stay in Germany, making me understand the story better and more anxious to get to the end to fully connect the dots.

I did not appreciate the fact that I couldn't differentiate when English was being used to communicate and when German was used from the start of the conversations. This caused me to wonder a lot and slowed down my pace a couple of times. I also noticed a few unclear narrations by the author, such as in the narration of Marlene's visit to the University, though that did not significantly disturb my reading experience.

I found a couple of errors in the book on different pages, but I would still say that it was professionally edited. Overall, I would rate the book a 4 out of 5. The one-point deduction is a result of the dislikes, which, after being jointly analyzed, proved to have given me some level of dissatisfaction. I would recommend this book to lovers of interesting fiction and drama.

Lies, Love, Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

Great insight on "Lies, Love, Blood"! Character depth and plot structure seem key here. Shame about the language confusion though. Thanks for the breakdown.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Would love to read this book. Thanks for the review by the way.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”