Review of Drifting

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Review of Drifting

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Drifting" by James Harland.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are the whole systems that the government has put in place—the school system, taxation, social security, military, etc.—really set to help human life or to control people? This book chronicles the fictionalized life story of a man on a quest for true freedom. One day, as a child, it hit William Walnut (Walter) Menger that he wasn't liked in his family. He realized that his father rejected him, and no matter what he did, his father's rejection was a constant factor in his life, and this hit him hard emotionally. Beginning in his boyhood, it traces his journey from the city of his birth to another town where schooling was like a punishment for him, to being raised on a farm, and back to urban life in Kansas City through formative experiences in the army, college, and as a pilot.

Drifting: An Unforeseen Destination or Evolving Toward Anarchy by James Harland illustrates the significant events and circumstances that led Willy to ultimately embrace the ideal of anarchy. More than just a political philosophy, anarchy takes on a deeper, more spiritual meaning in this book. At twelve years old, he had an encounter with a boy named Harold that opened his eyes to the darker sides of human nature.

I love that the book had a really great progression and that the author is good at unraveling the story without rushing. The emotions and actions of the people he interacted with were communicated nicely, which helped me relate to them well. The way Willy's siblings taunt him, for instance, is well-written and realistic. This, along with his brief encounter with a stranger who asked for his name, gave him an awakening, and he began to question what people say instead of being gullible. He also started paying more attention to what was going on around him. From them, he began to have more and more experiences that increased his awareness and realization that he could take care of himself without others. He gradually stopped seeking approval from others (his family) concerning his life.

The author contends that the very nature of government is antithetical to voluntarism. In his view, the government's core purpose is to supersede voluntary participation with coercion and imposition. Systems built on coercion, like government, are fatally flawed even if done in pursuit of the "greater good." The author argues that the government's reliance on compelled compliance makes it an inherently totalitarian concept. He also looked at how the school system was designed to produce humans who are less resistant to domination. In this book, you will be exposed to the double standard of government policies and those in power.

I learned a lot from this book, and it gave me a different perspective on power, government, spirituality, and schooling. I recommend it to everyone who wants to have a different perspective on life and the systems that are in place in our world and in government. I did not encounter any errors while reading the book, and there was nothing I disliked about it. Hence, I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars.

Drifting
View: on Bookshelves
Carolyn Edmonds
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carolyn Edmonds »

I like it it gives you an insight on how certain government entities work for the betterment of mankind and what we can expect
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review provided, it seems that "Drifting: An Unforeseen Destination or Evolving Toward Anarchy" by James Harland is a thought-provoking and engaging book. The reviewer appreciates the book's progression, realistic characterization, and the way it challenges conventional systems like government and schooling. They found the perspectives on power, government, spirituality, and schooling to be eye-opening. Overall, the reviewer highly recommends the book, giving it a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The author's skillful storytelling and the gradual unraveling of Willy's journey, from questioning societal norms to embracing anarchy, has me hooked. I appreciate how the author portrays emotions and interactions realistically, making it easy to relate to the characters. Your perspective on the government's impact and the book's exploration of power, spirituality, and schooling have piqued my interest. Thanks for the compelling recommendation! Can't wait to explore this thought-provoking narrative.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”