Review of The Erkeley Shadows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Review of The Erkeley Shadows

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Erkeley Shadows" by Michael W. Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A man's body is found in an apartment on Cumberland Avenue South, believed to be a European landed immigrant. Will, a police officer, reflects on the unusual circumstances surrounding the discovery. The deceased, a university professor, seems to have met an unnatural end. Will's curiosity leads him to take a folder from the crime scene. During the weekend, Will went into the folder, unable to resist the lingering questions about what brought the man to his stopping point. The folder contains meticulously crafted notes left by the deceased. Will feels a sense of guilt but takes the folder. While perusing the folder, various thoughts crossed Will's mind regarding factors that might have contributed to the professor’s demise.

The Erkeley Shadows by Michael W. Thomas is a captivating novel that combines the lives of its characters in a multi-layered narrative. The protagonist, Will, a police officer, becomes entangled in the enigmatic circumstances surrounding the death, leading him to unravel a complex web of pasts and presents. The novel not only focuses on the mystery at hand but also delves into the complexities of family dynamics. Thomas masterfully blends elements of mystery, reflection, and human connection.

In the narrative, my preferred character is Will. His commitment to unraveling the mysteries surrounding the professor's demise showcases a commendable level of determination. I find myself admiring Will's resolute nature as he endeavors to reach the crux of the matter. His decision to open the folder left at the crime scene, despite harboring a sense of guilt, speaks volumes. Will's character is compelling not only for his professional competence but also for the moral dilemmas and internal conflicts he grapples with throughout the storyline. As a reader, I appreciate the author's portrayal of Will's nature, making him relatable and engaging.

There is nothing I didn’t like about the book. The narrative of the book captivates me with its distinctive and compelling storyline. What sets it apart is the author's ability to craft a plot that diverges from conventional narratives, offering readers a fresh and innovative experience. The storyline exhibits a unique blend of mystery, introspection, and nuanced character development, drawing readers into a world that defies predictability.

The book is flawlessly edited. I assign a rating of 4 out of 5 stars to this book. While I appreciate the distinctiveness of the storyline, my decision to deduct a star is rooted in my sense of dissatisfaction with the conclusion. Despite my initial engagement and admiration for the narrative's uniqueness, I found that the conclusion did not meet my heightened expectations. I anticipated a more impactful and fulfilling conclusion to complement the intriguing setup, and this divergence in my expectations influenced my rating. I recommend this book to those who appreciate narratives that explore complex human relationships and to those who enjoy stories that unfold from multiple perspectives.

The Erkeley Shadows
View: on Bookshelves
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review for "The Erkeley Shadows" by Michael W. Thomas presents the book as a captivating and innovative read. The reviewer praises the complex character development and unique storyline, making it appealing to readers who enjoy exploring human relationships and multiple perspectives. However, the reviewer deducts a star due to a somewhat dissatisfying conclusion that didn't meet their heightened expectations. Overall, the book seems to be a good read worth exploring.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The way Will's character is portrayed as he unravels the mysterious circumstances and grapples with moral dilemmas is truly intriguing. I'm excited about the unique blend of mystery, introspection, and nuanced character development that the author, Michael W. Thomas, brings to the table. Your review convinced me that this book offers a fresh and innovative experience, and I'm ready for the captivating journey into a world that defies predictability. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

Michael W. Thomas' "The Erkeley Shadows" weaves characters in a complex mystery, exploring family dynamics and moral dilemmas intricately.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Deadly Hush by Douglas Stewart

Post by Florence Daniel »

A man's mysterious death in an apartment on Cumberland Avenue South draws Will, a police officer, into an intricate investigation. Discovering a folder at the crime scene, Will's curiosity leads him to delve into the deceased university professor's meticulously crafted notes, sparking reflections on the factors contributing to the man's demise.
Dani Elle Ele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

A man's mysterious death in an apartment on Cumberland Avenue South draws Will, a police officer, into an intricate investigation. Discovering a folder at the crime scene, Will's curiosity leads him to delve into the deceased university professor's meticulously crafted notes, sparking reflections on the factors contributing to the man's demise.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

The professor's death and Will's determination to seek the truth out appeals to me as I enjoy thrillers and mystery proses. I look forward to learning more about this death. Beautiful review.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

The Erkeley Shadows by Michael W. Thomas is a captivating novel that combines the lives of its characters in a multi-layered narrative. I admire the honesty of your review and how detalied it was. Good Job
Dani Elle Ele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

The Erkeley Shadows" by Michael W. Thomas intricately intertwines characters in a sophisticated mystery, delving into complex family dynamics and moral quandaries.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”