Review of Valmiki Ramayana, A Commentary (II) Edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Review of Valmiki Ramayana, A Commentary (II) Edition

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Valmiki Ramayana, A Commentary (II) Edition" by Lakkaraju Ananta Rama Rao (Late).]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book is 1794 pages long and is divided into three volumes. The volumes are further split into chapters. This book is a commentary on the original Valmiki Ramayana and provides more insights into the mythology. The story revolves around Rama, a prince of Ayodhya in ancient India. Forced into exile for fourteen years by his own father, he goes on a journey through the wilderness with his wife Sita and brother Lakshmana. Their peaceful life is shattered when the demon king Ravana abducts Sita, leading Rama to wage war in her rescue. Eventually, victorious and reunited with Sita, Rama returns home to a joyous coronation, reclaiming his rightful throne as king.

As someone who was brought up reading the Ramayana and Mahabharata, I can attest that the authenticity of this work was commendable. This commentary did not alter the message or the verses of the original script but rather just provided additional information, almost like a story.

Despite this being a religious commentary, its unbiased nature made it very appealing. There were several times where Christian sources like the Bible, Paradise Lost, Illiad, and other texts were used to make the commentary more relatable and easier to understand. Several literary sources from ancient and medieval India were examined and fact-checked. The Sanskrit words and chants that may be difficult to understand and pronounce were translated and explained. I expected the book to be a little boring; however, told like a story, it was thought-provoking and entertaining. The book was professionally edited, with only a few errors that I could find.

There was nothing to dislike about the book since I found it very useful and full of information about the Ramayana.

I recommend this book to people who are curious about mythology. Academic researchers will find this book to be most helpful. Though I felt that Hindus would find this book most suitable, it can be read by anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of Hinduism. Considering all the above arguments, I rate Valmiki Ramayana, A Commentary (II) Edition by Lakkaraju Ananta Rama Rao (Late) five out of five stars.

Valmiki Ramayana, A Commentary (II) Edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ni_weh_sesh62
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

Thanks for the succinct review! It's great to hear that the commentary enhances the original epic so well. Sounds like a must-read for mythology fans!
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Being a Hindu I am looking forward to diving into this comprehensive commentary on the Valmiki Ramayana! Its blend of authenticity, relatability across cultures, and engaging storytelling promises a deep and enlightening exploration of Hindu mythology.
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP

Christabel nmeso wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 19:46 Thanks for the succinct review! It's great to hear that the commentary enhances the original epic so well. Sounds like a must-read for mythology fans!
Indeed, it enhances and compare various sources, to determine their authenticity. Thank you for the feed back. Once again, any feedback on the review, whether positive or negative, is welcome.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP

Pranav Dewangan wrote: 23 Feb 2024, 15:29 Being a Hindu I am looking forward to diving into this comprehensive commentary on the Valmiki Ramayana! Its blend of authenticity, relatability across cultures, and engaging storytelling promises a deep and enlightening exploration of Hindu mythology.
Many Hindu teenagers living abroad have difficulty coming across literature translated into English. Thus, they are not able to connect properly with their heritage. I feel that this book might make a difference.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

This book is a 1794-page commentary on the original Valmiki Ramayana, a mythological story set in ancient India. The story revolves around Rama, a prince of Ayodhya, who is forced into exile by his father for fourteen years. He embarks on a journey through the wilderness with his wife Sita and brother Lakshmana, where their peaceful life is disrupted when the demon king Ravana abducts Sita, forcing Rama to wage war in her rescue. Eventually, victorious and reunited with Sita, Rama returns home to a joyous coronation, reclaiming his rightful throne as king.
The authenticity of this work is commendable, as it provides additional information, almost like a story. Despite being a religious commentary, its unbiased nature makes it appealing. Christian sources like the Bible, Paradise Lost, Illiad, and other texts are used to make the commentary more relatable and easier to understand. Several literary sources from ancient and medieval India are examined and fact-checked, and Sanskrit words and chants that may be difficult to understand and pronounce are translated and explained.
The book was professionally edited, with only a few errors found. The author found the book useful and full of information about the Ramayana. They recommend this book to people who are curious about mythology, academic researchers, and anyone who wants to gain a better understanding of Hinduism. Considering all the arguments, the author rates Valmiki Ramayana, A Commentary (II) Edition by Lakkaraju Ananta Rama Rao (Late) five out of five stars.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”