Review of Carpenter’s Bluff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 524
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: How to “Stop Sucking at Life” by J.W. Smith

Review of Carpenter’s Bluff

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Carpenter’s Bluff" by James Sanders.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In James Sandra's Carpenter's Bluff, the central character, Henry, faces a rough life journey. A lawyer by profession, Henry struggles with challenges rooted in his childhood. Henry witnesses a tragic event that leaves him unfairly blaming himself and seeking solace in strange drinks that leads him down the spiral of personal struggles.

The narrative takes an optimistic turn when Henry encounters Tommie. Embracing this chance, Henry's life brightens briefly. A strange turn of events occurs that leaves Henry questioning his sanity. Where will the redemption that he desperately needs come from? Will his troubles finally come to an end, or are there more in store for him? Will Jimmie, his friend and colleague, manage to point him in the right direction? You will have to read this book to find out.

What I loved most about this book is the authorship style. I loved the retrospective aspect. I also loved the opening sessions with the psychiatrist and how genuine it seemed. It almost felt like scenes from a mystery movie. I could not wait to uncover secrets as the pages turned. The author knew how to keep the reader on edge, anticipating what would come next. My favorite character was Tommie. Her charisma and charm penetrated the pages, and it was impossible not to fall in love with her. Henry’s relationship with Julianna reminded me of my high school sweetheart.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. The character development was impeccable. The storytelling was on point. The only thing I hated was my busy schedule, which prevented me from finishing this book in one sitting. That was how good the book was.

Despite occasional typos, the novel earns a rating of 4 out of 5. I could not rate it higher due to the typos. However, its engaging narrative, exploration of youthful complexities, and relatable characters make it a compelling read, especially for young adults. For those seeking a thought-provoking and emotionally resonant literary experience, Carpenter's Bluff comes highly recommended, offering a profound exploration of human experiences and the enduring impact of the past. I reckon that many will find a character that they will identify with.

Carpenter’s Bluff
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

I love novels laced with mystery. For this, I would love to see just now much impact a friend can have in a person's life. I would also want to find out more about the book's title.
Gene Gene
Currently Reading: Deceptive Calm
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Gene Gene »

This book was a good read. I was never quite sure if I truly liked the characters or not.
The setting is between 1971 and 1987 in Texas. Hank and his friends Julianna, Jack and Paddy are in high school and dealing with their individual lives. I found each of the characters to have their own faults: I suppose that could be viewed as a human trait. Hank's family life is turbulent: a mentally unstable mother, an overbearing and violent father, a little sister trying to compensate and two older siblings who have distanced themselves. Hank is a typical teenage boy and is only concerned with himself. He is in a relationship with Julianna, a wealthy girl who is motherly to his friends. I found her confusing. Jack is a boy never truly nurtured and cared for by anyone. Paddy is a boy with a normal family and is caught in the middle.

More twists and turns from the Author James Sanders is extremely catchy.
Shinshinshin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Shinshinshin »

Based on the review, "Carpenter's Bluff" seems like a highly engaging and thought-provoking read. The author's writing style and character development receive praise, with the only downside being occasional typos. The review concludes by recommending the book as a compelling read, especially for young adults. Overall, "Carpenter's Bluff" appears to be a good book worth checking out.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”