Review of When Black Shoes Turn Red

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 818
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When the Tamarind Tree Blooms by Elaine Russell
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of When Black Shoes Turn Red

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Black Shoes Turn Red" by Tom McKenna.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna is an uproariously funny story of second chances, threaded with the delicate strands of resilience, friendship, and the eternal quest for self-discovery. Through the eyes of our protagonist, Dave Darby, McKenna invites readers on a rollicking journey through time and the tangled web of human emotions.

Dave Darby faces mockery and ridicule at the hands of class bully Brock in the seventh grade. He cannot forget what happened to him back then, even in his 30s. Life, finally, gives him a chance to give Brock what he rightly deserves. To this end, Dave receives help from his girlfriend, Jules, and best friend, Easy. Moreover, the trio finds a surprise accomplice in Artie, the son of an internationally known personality. If you want to know who this son is and what became of our dear Dave and his nemesis, pick up this book as soon as possible.

There are many admirable aspects of this book. The author has infused the story with a rich tapestry of cultural references, adding layers of depth and complexity to an already captivating tale. If you are an American, you will get those references immediately. For a non-American, non-native English speaker like me, the research for those references was worth it.

The characters spring to life with vivid authenticity, each imbued with quirks and idiosyncrasies that make them both endearing and utterly relatable. While this story is about Dave, and I liked his character, I also loved how Jules and Easy supported him. None of the three characters are faultless, but they are realistic people. Artie, on the other hand, is extremely adorable.

The characters' views on people, life, and the world are hilariously praiseworthy. I don't think I'll ever forget Easy's take on the movie The Sound of Music.

There's nothing that I disliked about the book. The book seems professionally edited, as I encountered only a few minor errors in it. Those errors, however, didn't affect the reading experience in any way. I would not change anything about the book or the story. In my humble opinion, this book deserves the best rating possible because of its excellent characters and storyline. I'll gladly award it a perfect 5 out of 5 stars for being an outstanding book.

The book is less than 100 pages long. I recommend this book to anyone in search of a humorous and well-written short read. It's a book that will leave you laughing, thinking, and ultimately feeling grateful for the power of storytelling to uplift and inspire. And, I'm sure you are curious about the puzzling title of this book. I was, and I'm glad to find out what it means.

When Black Shoes Turn Red
View: on Bookshelves
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Shinshinshin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Shinshinshin »

Based on the review, "Share When Black Shoes Turn Red" by Tom McKenna seems like an excellent read. The reviewer praises the book's humor, complex characters, and engaging storyline. The cultural references add depth to the story, and the book is well-edited. The reviewer highly recommends it as a humorous and well-written short read, giving it a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. Overall, it appears to be a highly enjoyable and entertaining book.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

I love it when I come across a short book with strong promise. I don't hesitate to jump right into it. I love how the author portrayed his characters. The book promises to be amazing.
Chunnu Muduli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chunnu-muduli.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chunnu Muduli »

I like a well-crafted story about second chances. The rich cultural references, authentic characters, and the promise of a rollicking journey make it an appealing read. Thanks for the honest review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

This review piques my interest, making me want to read the book. Dave must have been through a lot for him to remember, even way into his 30s. I wonder how he paid Brock back for what he did to him.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”