Review of Sentenced

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Review of Sentenced

Post by Olga Markova »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sentenced" by Nina Herbst.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sentenced: A Little Pile of Stories by Nina Herbst is a collection of thirty short stories on a variety of topical subjects. The stories explore a wide range of terrains. Some are family-centered and focus on relationships between children and their parents. Other stories are about animals and their humans, friendship and betrayal, love and adultery, loneliness, compassion, sexual and drug abuse, revenge, murder, death and the afterlife, and even relationships of humans with extraterrestrial aliens! Many stories are full of sparkling humor, for example, Midterm Exam, Teacher of the Year, and Pinder.

Sentenced: A Little Pile of Stories by Nina Herbst absorbed me from the first story, and I kept turning pages until I finished reading all. Each story is an awesome masterpiece, with the scenes so atmospheric and the characters so well developed that reading feels like watching a feature film. I liked the unexpected twists and surprises that awaited me in many stories. Nina has done amazing work of creating relatable characters and thought-provoking stories.

I can fault no story or any aspect of this collection. But I can and will praise the two stories I liked most. One is Lily, about a dying lady and the feelings of her companion. For me, the unexpected climax of this story jetted it to the highest plane of an emotional roller-coaster. Another is Burning Bridges, about the relationships of Jake and Alicia, and Alicia’s romance with John who is married to Megan. Burning Bridges is awesome in the jaw-dropping surprises it holds. It is truly one of the most memorable stories I recently read!

I thoroughly enjoyed every story in this book. But for the typographical errors, I would have wholeheartedly given this book all stars. However, the typographical errors compel me to deduct a star, so I rate this fascinating collection of brilliant stories four out of five stars.

I highly recommend this book to any adult person. Some stories in this book feature children and can be a good family read, with parents helping the children unravel the thought-provoking implied meanings. But other stories revolve around adult topics, such as adultery and sexual abuse, so are unsuitable for children.

Sentenced
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Immersed in the rich tapestry of life and emotion, 'Sentenced: A Little Pile of Stories' by Nina Herbst offers a captivating journey through humor, heartache, and humanity. Each story, a vivid masterpiece, promises unexpected twists and deep connections, making me eager to dive into its pages
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I like when stories are all well done instead of one or two! Thank you for the review!
Ringle Nashak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ringle-nashak.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Ringle Nashak »

Little Pile of Stories' by Nina Herbst offers a captivating journey through humor, heartache, and humanity
George Nduuru
Favorite Book: Original Wisdom
Currently Reading: If... and other stories
Bookshelf Size: 50
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by George Nduuru »

The author's skill at creating thirty short stories that are both realistic and cinematic is astounding. I have no choice but to read this engrossing book in order to figure out what the title means and how it relates to the stories because I still don't know.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

What a convincing review. Thanks!
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The reviewer expresses a strong positive response to the book, praising the atmospheric scenes, well-developed characters, unexpected twists, and surprises in each story. The collection's ability to engage the reader is emphasized, with the reviewer noting that the stories read like watching a feature film. The two stories mentioned as favorites, "Lily" and "Burning Bridges," are particularly lauded for their emotional impact and jaw-dropping surprises. Well done on this well-described review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”