Review of The Trenches

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RJ Reviews
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Review of The Trenches

Post by RJ Reviews »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Trenches" by D. Morrow Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Trenches by D. Morrow Jr. starts with a convict named Mano telling his cellmate how he ended up in Atwater United States Federal Penitentiary with a life sentence. He recalls how he and his childhood friend Bucca rose to the top of drug dealing gangs before everything went downhill, and he ended up in prison. Mano and Bucca were nothing but minor players in the streets of Chicago when they started to take over other gangs and eliminate opposition. They cunningly started gathering loyal members for their gang and controlling the whole Darkside, consisting of a seven-block radius full of gangster disciples. Their sudden rise to top positions didn't go unnoticed by the other players. What followed was a battle of wits, strategy, betrayal, and bloodshed. Read The Trenches to find out how Mano and Bucca climbed to the top positions and crashed back down within a mere two years.

The story is a raw and truthful depiction of the lives of gangsters and drug dealers in the United States. The author used his personal experiences to create authentic characters with appropriate diction and mannerisms. Mano is cunning and ruthless, yet is loyal and caring towards his friends and girlfriend. Bucca has more muscles than brains and has a playful part. His devotion to Mano is steadfast, even under the most challenging circumstances. These diversities make them relatable and believable. It was easy to imagine their initial struggles and eventual achievements. Other characters like Fredo, Felisha, Porsha, Syko, and Money were also appropriately created.

The story is reasonably fast-paced, with the suspense building from the first chapter. It took some time for me to adjust to the diction, but once I did, I couldn't put the book down. Mano and his group encountered betrayal and double-dealing by those around him, as well as an inquiry by federal agents Jack Fazar and Robert Ernst. As is the case with drug dealers and gangsters, their lives were roller-coaster. The tender moments between the men and their love interests help balance the shocking events of murder and ruthless conspiracy. The story is styled as flashbacks, and the date stamps at the beginning of each chapter make it easy to understand the timelines of the events. The book contains extensive profanities, but given the theme, it is justifiable.

I encountered minor errors while reading. The author did an admirable job of narrating an authentic story of crime and retaliation. I rate this book 4 out of 5 due to its well-paced narrative and realistic characters.

I recommend this book to mature readers due to the amount of violence and profanities. This book will excite readers who enjoy gangster and crime stories.

The Trenches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

RJ Reviews wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 05:46 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Trenches" by D. Morrow Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

[
The story is a raw and truthful depiction of the lives of gangsters and drug dealers in the United States. The author used his personal experiences to create authentic characters with appropriate diction and mannerisms. Mano is cunning and ruthless, yet is loyal and caring towards his friends and girlfriend. Bucca has more muscles than brains and has a playful part. His devotion to Mano is steadfast, even under the most challenging circumstances. These diversities make them relatable and believable. It was easy to imagine their initial struggles and eventual achievements. Other characters like Fredo, Felisha, Porsha, Syko, and Money were also appropriately created.

I encountered minor errors while reading. The author did an admirable job of narrating an authentic story of crime and retaliation. I rate this book 4 out of 5 due to its well-paced narrative and realistic characters.

I recommend this book to mature readers due to the amount of violence and profanities. This book will excite readers who enjoy gangster and crime stories.

The Trenches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This review has piqued my interest in this book. I appreciate that the author is writing this gangster story based on his personal experiences. This makes the story and characters authentic. I will enjoy reading this book. :techie-studyinggray:
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Thrilled to dive into 'The Trenches' by D. Morrow Jr. for its gritty, authentic portrayal of gang life, the strategic rise and fall of Mano and Bucca, and the compelling mix of loyalty, betrayal, and survival. Can't wait to experience the suspenseful journey!
Anastasia Baglay
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-baglay.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Anastasia Baglay »

You mention that the book contains profanity. I don't wanna sound cheesy, yet did the author went to far with it, or it feels on its place and does not spoil the whole experience? Thank you for your great job!
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

This book promises to be a gripping read that delves into themes of loyalty, betrayal, ambition, and the cost of power.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Anastasia Baglay wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 13:04 You mention that the book contains profanity. I don't wanna sound cheesy, yet did the author went to far with it, or it feels on its place and does not spoil the whole experience? Thank you for your great job!
I wouldn't say that the author went too far with it because we shouldn't expect gangsters to talk too politely, should we? But yes, there are abundance of profanities and it may offend some readers. I appreciate your kind comment.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

This sounds like an action packed book. I think the review says it’s fiction or is it non-fiction? That’s great that it only had minor errors. Great review.
Syanda Mkhwanazi
Currently Reading: A God-Balanced Life
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syanda-mkhwanazi.html
Latest Review: A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes

Post by Syanda Mkhwanazi »

Mano appears to be psychotic to me. I must say, your review is well detailed and engaging. It makes me want to read this book some day. Thank you for sharing your views with us.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

A book I would love to read. Thanks for the review.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Sounds like a captivating read! The timeline mentioned is great, especially considering the frequent use of flashbacks. I've struggled with books that didn't clarify timelines, so it's appreciated here. The book's authenticity shines through with the author drawing from personal experiences. Thanks for this detailed review!
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

The Trenches is a novel by D. Morrow Jr. that tells the story of Mano, a convict who ends up in Atwater United States Federal Penitentiary with a life sentence. Mano and his childhood friend Bucca, who were minor players in Chicago's streets, rose to the top of drug dealing gangs before their rise to power was met with a battle of wits, strategy, betrayal, and bloodshed. The story is a raw and truthful depiction of the lives of gangsters and drug dealers in the United States. The author uses his personal experiences to create authentic characters with appropriate diction and mannerisms.
Mano is cunning and ruthless, while Bucca has more muscles than brains and a playful part. His devotion to Mano is steadfast, even under challenging circumstances. Other characters like Fredo, Felisha, Porsha, Syko, and Money are also appropriately created.
The story is fast-paced, with suspense building from the first chapter. The suspense builds from the first chapter, and the author's ability to create relatable and believable characters makes the book easy to imagine their initial struggles and eventual achievements. The story is styled as flashbacks, with date stamps at the beginning of each chapter making it easy to understand the timelines of the events.
The book contains extensive profanities, but given the theme, it is justifiable. The author did an admirable job of narrating an authentic story of crime and retaliation. I rate this book 4 out of 5 due to its well-paced narrative and realistic characters.
I recommend this book to mature readers due to the amount of violence and profanities, but it will excite readers who enjoy gangster and crime stories. The book is recommended for mature readers due to the amount of violence and profanities, but it will also excite readers who enjoy gangster and crime stories.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”