Review of Kept

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shamrah Bayroll
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamrah-bayroll.html
Latest Review: Alaska Deadly by J.L. Askew

Review of Kept

Post by Shamrah Bayroll »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kept" by Joanna Adam.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kept by Joanna Adam revolves around Beth and her family's life at Nether Place, their ancestral home. Weekends unfold with Beth, her husband Max, and family gatherings that include her parents and siblings. A turning point arises when Beth discovers old love letters addressed to Max from various women, triggering tension in their relationship. The narrative intricately weaves through Beth's familial connections, especially with her sister Tina, and portrays moments such as caring for Beth's aging mother and bonding with her daughter Laura. The characters in Kept are portrayed with a realistic mix of strengths and flaws, revealing the complexities of their relationships. The book skillfully explores family dynamics, offering profound insights into sibling rivalry, power dynamics between parents and children, and the existence of secrets within families. The psychological depth of the narrative is remarkable, delving into the motivations and consequences of the characters' actions. Their desires, insecurities, and pathologies are authentically portrayed, adding layers to their personalities. The prose is evocative, painting vivid images of settings and time periods, creating a palpable atmosphere that enhances the overall reading experience.

However, the narrative also introduces some negative aspects. Infidelity emerges as a major theme, as Beth uncovers Max's multiple affairs throughout their marriage. This could be interpreted as potentially promoting or normalizing unfaithful behavior. Dysfunctional family relationships and toxicity within dynamics are depicted through tense, competitive interactions among Beth, her sister Tina, and other family members. Additionally, the prevalence of characters keeping secrets or telling lies undermines trust within relationships, portraying the detrimental impact of such behavior. I rate Kept 4 out of 5 stars. The book is exceptionally well-edited, free from errors, making it a polished reading experience. I recommend it to readers fascinated by the exploration of intricate and complex family relationships. The narrative's ability to navigate through the highs and lows of familial bonds adds depth to the storytelling, making it a compelling read for those interested in the dynamics of human connections.

Kept
View: on Bookshelves
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

The title of the book makes me want to know more about it. I would love to see how Beth's discovery affects her relationship with Max. Thank you for the detailed review of the book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”