looking for specific type of book (strange request)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
declanh
Bookshelf Size: 0

looking for specific type of book (strange request)

Post by declanh »

I am someone that likes to just simply observe other people to learn about them (yes to some people that may be weird), so what I want is a book that will tell me things I can look for in people, such as how a ballerina stands, how an anxious person acts, what a surgeons hands look like, and etc.

I apologize but I don't know how to explain my request properly, if you are willing to look for such a book for me or if you know how to find such a book please let me know. Thank you.

(If this is in the wrong forum I apologize, this is my first time on this website)
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

Huh... that's definitely a unique request, but if I understand you correctly, you're looking for a book that describes physical characteristics distinct to members of a profession that results from their work. Kind of like how in the Sherlock Holmes stories, they always say, "This person has this deformity, they must therefore work as a ----"

As for a book outlining such things... hmm I would suggest that maybe a medical section of a bookstore would contain an overview of the kind you're looking for, maybe in anthropology. OR maybe in criminal detection or the like, now that I think on it.

Sorry this is so general, I'll do a bit of digging in a few categories and let you know if I find anything more specific.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
declanh

Post by declanh »

thank you for the help
rooserfeather

Post by rooserfeather »

If you go to a book shop and ask for books about body language you will find some thing that suits your need. I know of a specific book, just can't recall the title or author. Sorry.
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

Try Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. I found it very interesting even though the information was pretty basic. I'm eventually going to get to the other books he wrote. Hope that helps!
mmyea

Post by mmyea »

If you are looking for fiction with excellent description, detective novels usually have a fair amount of observation in them. Megan Abbott in particular (she does noir) has amazing descriptions in her novels. Also books that have a lot of sexual tension and attraction tend to focus on minute details of the subject being pursued. If you are into that I would recommend D.H. Lawrence-- his books are more classic than the average romance novel of today that's purely for kicks. They have a bit more depth.

However, if you are looking for something more didactic so you can learn to make those observations, I would not be the one to help there! Sorry!
selfer

Post by selfer »

You should check out "Reading People" by By Jo-Ellan Dimitrius and Mark Mazzarella. If you google it, you can read a lot of it on Google Books. It goes deep into what certain things might mean: i.e. a person's complexion, what it might mean if they're wearing a headband, how to read their posture, their eyes, their breath, etc. It's pretty fascinating.
shanakrahman

Post by shanakrahman »

Great convo, thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”