Review of Behind The Red Line

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Review of Behind The Red Line

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind The Red Line" by V.V. Liles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Freemont Heart and Surgical Institute has just celebrated its opening as this book begins. This opening was a huge success in no small part to Victoria Villa. She and her group of colleagues and best friends, affectionately dubbed “The One,” have ensured this operation goes off without a hitch. Everything is going as expected, with a few small fires to put out here and there – something Victoria is skilled at handling – and their staff is, for the most part, happy. This peace comes to an end with the hiring of Dr. Shethan Pathan, an egotistical and sexist narcissist.

This man raises hell in the hospital, in more ways than one. It gets to the point where staff are resigning in fear of losing their medical licenses. Victoria sticks it out for as long as she can and tries to defend the hospital against Pethan’s actions, but with seemingly everyone too afraid to stand up to him, she is fighting an uphill battle. Behind The Red Line by V. V. Liles is the fictionalized story of true events, detailing Victoria’s fight against Pethan, breast cancer, and eventually (though not her own) brain cancer.

I greatly enjoyed this book, however, it was not without its drawbacks. The author did a wonderful job of introducing the main characters (such as The One), leading me to believe they would be an integral part of the book. However, while they did add a lot to the story, there were times when they were not mentioned for around two hundred pages. This confused me slightly, as I believed they would be more focused on. Additionally, I found the pacing to be very odd. The story would skip days and months, and eventually, it would be years after an event that the author had just brought up, such as Victoria’s cancer diagnosis.

Despite my criticisms, I truly enjoyed this book. Victoria was an exceptionally well-developed main character, and her perseverance was nothing short of inspiring. I hated seeing the way she was constantly dismissed and condescended to, but the way she handled everything with grace was moving and admirable.

Another reason to love this book is the author’s writing. So much of her personality shone through her words. I was surprised by how invested I became in these characters’ lives. I was constantly eager to see where the story would be going next, and how Victoria would handle it and move forward. I believe the book would benefit from another round of editing, as I found two minor errors. However, this did not detract from my enjoyment. I am rating this book 4 out of 5 stars. The reason I have deducted a star is explained in a previous paragraph.

Despite my complaints, I would very eagerly recommend this book to readers who enjoy medical workplace books with a touch of real-life issues. I believe it would be better suited to those of a religious background, as the main character is very vocal about her faith and praying to God. As a result of the strong language included throughout the book, I believe it is only appropriate for mature readers.

Behind The Red Line
View: on Bookshelves
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Thrilled to dive into "Behind The Red Line" for its gripping narrative of resilience in the face of adversity, the richly developed character of Victoria, and the authentic depiction of medical and personal challenges. The blend of real-life issues with a faith-driven protagonist promises a compelling and inspiring read.
Ringle Nashak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ringle-nashak.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Ringle Nashak »

Behind The Red Line" for its gripping narrative of resilience in the face of adversity, the richly developed character of Victoria, and the authentic depiction of medical and personal challenges.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Thanks for the insightful review.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The opening success of Freemont Heart and Surgical Institute, the introduction of characters, and the conflict arising from the hiring of Dr. Shethan Pathan are highlighted. The reviewer expresses enjoyment of the book while also noting some drawbacks. The well-developed main character, Victoria, is praised for her perseverance and inspiring qualities.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”