Review of The Man Behind the Shadow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Akoth Odhiambo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-akoth-odhiambo.html
Latest Review: The Man Behind the Shadow by H.P. Price

Review of The Man Behind the Shadow

Post by Caroline Akoth Odhiambo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Man Behind the Shadow" by H.P. Price.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Man Behind The Shadow by H.P. Price is an autobiography. The book starts with the author talking about his family, and then he details his childhood. At seven, his father forced him to eat fat even though he disliked it. After that incident, the author experienced psychosomatic episodes that lasted for several days for six years. He went to therapy, but it didn't help. Fortunately, the author recovered at thirteen through his intervention. He joined high school and played baseball and basketball. He got a scholarship from Georgia Teachers College but gave up the scholarship and joined the Navy. His military career didn't last long before he was sent home for medical issues. After some years, he returned to school and majored in the Trade of Architectural and Mechanical Design.

The author also details his marriage life, relationship with his children, overseas missionary services, and career. I liked the photos added to the book. They made my reading experience more enjoyable. I love the author's wondrous act he did in Mzimba, Malawi. I know the workers were so happy to receive a considerable bonus. Coach Abney praising his team even after losing to a team they almost defeated was sweat. It is very hard to find a coach like that. I liked the humor the author added to the book. They made me laugh a lot. This book is proof that forcing a child to do what they dislike can cause serious mental health problems for the child. Life quotes enthusiasts will enjoy reading the quotes at the end.

I didn't find anything to dislike in this book. The book is concise and easy to read. It only took me a few hours to read the whole book. I applaud the author for sharing his life story with the world.

I found unintentional spelling and grammar errors in this book. I think the book was not well-edited. For that reason, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to people who love reading life stories. The book contains a lot of Christianity-related topics and Bible verses, so I think it will be unsuitable for non-Christians.

The Man Behind the Shadow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

I appreciated your review, especially when you talked about the author's difficult life, explaining very well what happened to him from a young age. It helped me to understand if this book is adapted to me and if I want to read it. Thanks a lot.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”