Review of Remembering Stardust

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of Remembering Stardust

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Remembering Stardust" by C. D. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Young Oliver Goode has this strange sadness about him. Some say it is because he lost his mother so early. Or, who knows, maybe there is more to it? Ollie lives his growing years in a small town in Pennsylvania during the turbulent years of the mid-60s. The Vietnam War colors the political atmosphere, and the birth of hippie counterculture stirs the lives of young people everywhere. Ollie works at Miller's Store, trying to save money for college. The young man finds himself constantly struggling to fulfill the expectations of his abusive father, his straight-laced pastor Jonah Stuckey, and the narrow-minded church folks at Wheatley Bible Church.

However, everything is about to change permanently. Several events shake Ollie's life and beliefs to the very core. First, he meets Stardust Hopewell. She is a beautiful, free-spirited girl who makes Ollie's heart skip a beat. Then, his best friend enlists in the Marines and is sent off to Vietnam to fight the ongoing war. Another stress factor for Ollie is the special task Reverend Stuckey has given to him. Stuckey's expectations make Ollie squirm. Sneaking tracts into customers' bags at work does not fit well with Ollie's senses. Besides, he thinks his boss might disapprove of such actions. On top of everything else, the situation with his folks at home remains complicated. Ollie has a lot to deal with. He struggles in his attempts to keep everyone happy. Can Ollie find a way to fit the pieces of his life together without losing himself?

Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker is a warm and kind-spirited coming-of-age story of Oliver Goode, a young man who grows up surrounded by narrow-minded and fear-driven religiosity. This book is a touching story of a lovable young man and his years of growth, but it also addresses serious topics. Using fiction, it explores the effects of fear, anxiety, and surrounding society's pressure on a person's choices and actions.

I loved the atmosphere of this book. The pages were almost magically radiating with kindness, love, and acceptance. The reading experience was gentle, intense, and emotional. The author had crafted Ollie's character with great skill and affection, and his approach to Ollie's life was knowing and kind. I loved his fatherly narration style. In addition, the story had an irresistible flow to it. An awful lot was happening in Ollie's life, and he seemed to be walking on a narrow bridge over troubled water from one adversity to the next. The author's affectionate approach deeply touched my heart and had me laughing, crying, and holding my breath for Ollie.

Furthermore, other essential characters in this book were exciting and well-created. The author describes the relationships and interactions between the characters subtly. Besides Ollie, the character that most touched my heart was Virginia Potts, one of the women from Wheatley Bible Church. It was probably because her life story appeared strangely familiar to me. Furthermore, the development of Reverend Stuckey's character completely surprised me. In addition to the loving atmosphere, the beauty of this book is in the marvelously crafted characters; I am sure quite a few readers can find someone from this story who appears strangely familiar or with whom they identify.

I couldn't find anything to dislike from this book. Remembering Stardust was the first book I've read from C. D. Baker, and it so thoroughly convinced me that I am indeed planning to read more of his works. The reading experience was absorbing and uplifting, and the editing of this book was excellent; I could not spot a single error. Therefore, I am proud to rate Remembering Stardust with 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading stories that taste like life and appeal to the reader's emotions. In addition, those with a similar background as Ollie might find streams of hope in this book.

Remembering Stardust
View: on Bookshelves
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I believe there is a lot to learn as Ollie is faced some challenges. Following his growth in this book promises to be lesson-filled. The fact that the characters are well-developed adds to the book's beauty.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”