Review of 180 Days

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of 180 Days

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "180 Days" by Alfredo Botello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alfredo Botello’s 180 Days features Naomi Curran and Tomas Araeta. The pair has spent seventeen years in a relationship. They were even planning an adoption and were on the waiting list. Tomas was an architect who dreamed of being known for his work; he had even started his own studio. Naomi works at Macy’s and designs the displays for the stores. Then Tomas made a mistake that caused Naomi to insist on filing for divorce. While at the courthouse, the clerk tells them that the divorce will not be final for 180 days.

Tomas has 180 days to convince Naomi that they can save their marriage. However, Naomi refuses to listen. After eight days, Tomas starts sleeping in his studio. On day eleven, Tomas calls Naomi to see if they could meet for coffee. Naomi tells him to never call her again. After prodding from Abbie, her mother, to seek a therapist, Naomi relents. Tomas and Naomi meet with Dr. Riordan. Naomi throws every bit of her anger at Tomas and claims she doesn't want to work anything out. Outside the doctor’s office, Tomas has a breakdown. Depression overtakes him, and he contemplates suicide. Then a radio announcement made him pause.

The character development of Tomas and Naomi was exceptional. As the story proceeds, the vulnerabilities of both characters are fully explored. As the days count down, the suspense builds in intensity. My favorite supporting character was Tomas’ assistant, Billy. In one of his texts to Tomas, he comments on a project and then follows with, “Now get thee to a shrink.” The engaging dialogue and interactions with friends and family made the story intriguing.

I was frustrated with the formatting of the story. Instead of being in chronological order, the days jump around in order. Starting with day one, it continues with day ninety-four, then jumps back to days seventy-six, day eight, and day forty-two. While helpful in building suspense, it seems as though there are two timelines to follow. I would have preferred to read the story with a countdown of the days in order instead of jumping back and forth in time.

I rate 180 Days four out of five stars. I deducted a star for the timeline issue as it could alienate some potential readers. The book is edited professionally. The realistic portrayal of the pain that both characters feel as divorce looms over their relationship adds depth to the plot.

Readers who like psychological stories of how people see importance in life will find 180 Days a great read. There are some profanity and explicit scenes that make this book more appropriate for mature readers.

180 Days
View: on Bookshelves
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you
Daniel Chigozie ANI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-chigozie-ani.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance

Post by Daniel Chigozie ANI »

The store was somehow touching and bad. For both lovers Tomas and Naomi to be love and couldn't fix their relationship, after the court gave 180 days! Even when Tom was trying to talk it out, and Naomi could not rethink and give love a chance, That was bad. So I rate it four over five.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

The detailed description of the central characters, Naomi Curran and Tomas Araeta, and the challenges they face in their long-term relationship sets the stage for a compelling narrative. The premise of a 180-day period for Tomas to save their marriage adds an element of suspense and urgency to the story.
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"180 Days" by Alfredo Botello is a compelling narrative that delves into the complexities of love, forgiveness, and redemption. Through the tumultuous relationship of Naomi Curran and Tomas Araeta, the author explores themes of resilience and self-discovery amidst the challenges of marriage and personal growth.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Mari Thompson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

Wow! What was Thomas’s mistake and did they reconcile before the 180-day deadline? Sounds like a good book. Too bad about the timeline issue. I don’t like books that jump around like that either. Great review. Thanks.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Tomas has 180 days to convince Naomi that they can save their marriage. However, Naomi refuses to listen. After eight days, Tomas starts sleeping in his studio. On day eleven, Tomas calls Naomi to see if they could meet for coffee. Naomi tells him to never call her again. After prodding from Abbie, her mother, to seek a therapist, Naomi relents. Tomas and Naomi meet with Dr. Riordan. Naomi throws every bit of her anger at Tomas and claims she doesn't want to work anything out. Outside the doctor’s office, Tomas has a breakdown. Depression overtakes him, and he contemplates suicide. Then a radio announcement made him pause.
Now I need to know what the announcement said!
I was frustrated with the formatting of the story. Instead of being in chronological order, the days jump around in order. Starting with day one, it continues with day ninety-four, then jumps back to days seventy-six, day eight, and day forty-two. While helpful in building suspense, it seems as though there are two timelines to follow. I would have preferred to read the story with a countdown of the days in order instead of jumping back and forth in time.
I think I would have preferred a linear timeline, too.

I like narratives that broach personal everyday struggles. And while I don't believe divorce should be the go-to solution for a disagreement, I guess it depends on what kind of mistake Tomas made.
Thank you!
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

Alfredo Botello's 180 Days is a psychological novel that follows the story of Naomi Curran and Tomas Araeta, who have been in a relationship for seventeen years. Tomas, an architect, dreams of becoming known for his work and has started his own studio. Naomi works at Macy's and designs store displays. However, Tomas makes a mistake that causes Naomi to insist on filing for divorce. The divorce will not be final for 180 days, and Tomas has 180 days to convince Naomi that they can save their marriage.
Naomi refuses to listen, and after eight days, Tomas starts sleeping in his studio. On day eleven, Tomas calls Naomi for coffee, but Naomi refuses. After her mother's advice, Naomi seeks a therapist, and Tomas has a breakdown, contemplating suicide.
The character development of Tomas and Naomi is exceptional, with the suspense building as the days count down. The engaging dialogue and interactions with friends and family make the story intriguing. However, the formatting of the story is frustrating, with the days jumping around in order instead of chronologically. The book is edited professionally, and the realistic portrayal of the pain that both characters feel as divorce looms over their relationship adds depth to the plot.
180 Days is rated four out of five stars, with a deducted star for the timeline issue. The book is edited professionally, and the realistic portrayal of the pain that both characters feel as divorce looms over their relationship adds depth to the plot. It is a great read for psychological stories about how people see importance in life, but there are some profanity and explicit scenes that make it more appropriate for mature readers.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”