Similar to Jack London

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ryan2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Similar to Jack London

Post by ryan2 »

Hello. I just read five Jack London books in a row. I had never read anything by him before, but I was amazed with his work. I've read books from many authors, but very few I have ever read that influenced my way of thinking about life than his. The books of his I read were Call of the Wild, The Sea Wolf, White Fang, Martin Eden, and Valley of the Moon.

From Call of the Wild I learned that the rules that govern the actions of an individual in civilization will not allow one to survive in the wild.

From Sea Wolf I learned the circular argument that life is a good thing only because life demands that it must be a good thing, and outside this argument life is actually a viscous (spelling?) thing.

From Martin Eden I deepened my understanding of how learning motivated by unsound foundations (Ruth's love, the interest and ability of civilization) can embitter a man to loathe everything.

From the Valley of the Moon I learned how married love can fail and become a gross thing if the two involved do not together always strive for something better than they already have.

Are there any authors out there that can either challenge Jack London's ideas with equal ability or perhaps write with his ability on other interesting subjects?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”