Review of Molly Mee The Awakening

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abraham Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Review of Molly Mee The Awakening

Post by Abraham Ozo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Molly Mee The Awakening" by J M Duckworth.]
Book Cover
1 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The awakening follows a girl named Molly Mee, the protagonist, who narrates the story. Molly was born into a poor family of nine and is frequently dubbed a ‘freak’. From endurance to retribution and hurt, she bears it all from her family, finding more comfort with strangers. Depressed and hopeless about life, Molly longs for death until she comes to understand why she is on earth in the first place.

Readers can learn about how important it is to connect with their purpose, stand firm against the horrible circumstances of life, and fight for themselves. Like Molly, it is important to believe we are worth it, no matter how long it takes. However, the advantages of this book are few. The story focuses on the longstanding battle between good and evil, giving elements like the ego, heart, mind, and soul excessive speaking and thinking abilities that project a sense of unrealism. Furthermore, this book is riddled with so many grammatical and repetitive spelling errors that it's a wonder how it got published in the first place. This was a huge impediment to my reading process because I had to spend time writing out many of these errors.

The plot is haphazardly built and infinitely boring, containing too much repetitive monologue and dialogue between abstract elements and excessive lamentations about mankind. The author’s attempts at suspense and intrigue are scarce and pitiful, to say the least. Characterization might take some effort, but it is imbued with limited dimensions, which means the characters can be forgotten in the blink of an eye. The writing style is descriptive and simplistic, and there is some attention to detail lodged within descriptions, but without wordplay, it is boring and forgettable.

I would never rate this book high on my list of enjoyable and thrilling fiction books. In fact, it would never make the list at all. Since I can't recommend this book to anyone, I recommend that this writer take time out to learn storytelling, writing, and editing techniques if he or she ever dreams about writing another book so that another reader is not subjected to this mental torture. All I wanted as I kept reading was for the book to just come to an end. This experience is enough justification to rate this book, Molly Mee: The Awakening by J. M. Duckworth, one out of five stars.

Molly Mee The Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Thank you for your review, this book looks to be really not well-edited and poorly written. I think I will not waste my time reading it in the future. I like interesting and well-developed stories, and this one doesn't look to be the best choice.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”