Review of A Long Thanksgiving

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shiru Elizabeth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios

Review of A Long Thanksgiving

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Long Thanksgiving" by Shola Ojelade.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Shola Ojelade's geopolitical novel A Long Thanksgiving explores contradictions and conflicts in American society by using the holiday as a backdrop. The range of subjects covered includes politics, racism, gender issues, and marriage. 

The family Thanksgiving setting is used by the author to discuss many social concerns and spark fascinating discussions amongst the book's characters. The conflict between Darius and Planta over many social concerns is discussed throughout this Thanksgiving dinner, along with additional conflicts involving other family members like Mama T and Misti. The contradiction in problems in today's America is mostly reflected in the subtleties on both sides of the debate that are brought up, debated, and ultimately left unresolved. Suppressed middle class resentment and unspoken family secrets are exposed, revealing startling new information.

This is one of the first novels I've read in a while that genuinely and candidly addresses themes of racism and gender equality. It was incredibly helpful to read about this topic and hear other people's perspectives. I particularly enjoyed the many viewpoints that each character had to offer, as well as the way they occasionally but not always described their circumstances without showing bias. Almost all of the subjects were interesting to me, but the one about cars and firearms causing deaths and the need to outlaw guns since they directly affect people's lives was one that I found particularly compelling. Guns, in my opinion, have a greater negative impact on people's lives than autos. Guns aren't as useful as cars, which facilitate transportation. I'll stop here since I might start a conversation with this. I had a great time reading this book and learning about the subjects covered.

This book receives a rating of five out of five stars from me. An excellent and instructive book to pass the time while reading. Throughout reading this book, I didn't spot any obvious errors. Bravo to the editors. For those who appreciate reading about social concerns or politics in general, I would suggest this book. They are going to love it.

A Long Thanksgiving
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

These are not necessarily topics one would discuss around the dinner table, especially at thanksgiving. I want to know how these conversations ensued, as well as the outcome. A book worth reading.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

I can't imagine discussing serious issues like politics, racism during thanksgiving, I guess that's why the title is a long Thanksgiving😀. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”