The Most Dangerous Game

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Most Dangerous Game

Post by Scott »

Who has read The Most Dangerous Game, the famous short story by Richard Connell?

I have not read it recently, but I remember it. I just thought of it when I read the "short story" thread by knightss.

I enjoyed the story very much. It tells the story of a man who lands on an island inhabited by another man who hunts humans. The hunter hunts humans because hunting animals was too easy, and humans are much cleverer. Thus, the hunter forces the first man to play a game where he is the prey.

I like that the title has a double meaning. It refers to 'game' in the sense of the prey in a hunt, meaning humans are the most dangerous type of prey to hunt. The title also refers to the game being played, which is dangerous because it is life and death.

What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
awelker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awelker »

I read this story almost five years ago. i can remember liking it a lot and the it was very original.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Dori

Post by Dori »

I read it last year in English. I liked it, but I've read better.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
knightss

Post by knightss »

that is a great write. i definitely have to read it again, i read it in 9th or 10th grade.
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
Linda

Post by Linda »

i loved it, i read it in 8th grade and still remember enjoying it quite a bit. no other stories I've read are anything like it, if i knew of any i'd surely read them. i also thought the title was very clever.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
NSUSA

Post by NSUSA »

I liked it a lot. It won't change your life, but it is definitely a fun read.
booklover85

Post by booklover85 »

It is an interesting story. I don't tend to like short stories, but I enjoyed this one. Much better than most of the stories I have read....
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

It was interesting.

It left me wondering if Rainsford was now so damaged that he would perpetuate the game and slip into the generals life, or if he would leave the island.
CassieXO

Post by CassieXO »

One of my favorite short stories, I read it a few years ago, but I remember it well because I liked it so much.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

I read this story a while ago. But it is really good. It definitely dripped with suspense, action, adventure and mystery. It's a good thing for a quick read... it was very well written too. I can really picture Rainsford and the evil dude- what'shisface....
The Guildmaster

Post by The Guildmaster »

I always love stories that impart a valuable lesson that can set with you for years.

The hunter can make many mistakes; the hunted can only make one.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

this is a very good read..and you summed it up so well, thanks for the memories, i'll have to read it again :D
Stunt Penguin

Post by Stunt Penguin »

saracen77 wrote:It was interesting.

It left me wondering if Rainsford was now so damaged that he would perpetuate the game and slip into the generals life, or if he would leave the island.
Me too!!!! I sure hoped he didn't!!!
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

I loved it. I had watched The Game with Ice T before I had read the story (my dad was a projectionist for a time so I saw many movies) and enjoyed the story. When I read the real story I thought it was even better, more stripped down and basic but also more savage. Definitely one of my favorites.
stretch

Post by stretch »

I found this old thread, and had to reccommend Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household. It has the same thrill, drawn out to novel length.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”