Review of Pacing the Sidelines

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review of Pacing the Sidelines

Post by Bron Bakers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pacing the Sidelines" by Gary J. Kirchner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pacing the Sidelines by Gary J. Kirchner is an intelligent book that focuses on the football team of the McGill Redmen. Coach Donovan retires after coaching the Redmen for 25 years. The challenge is to find an able successor before the next season begins. The book begins with Arne Viimets being interviewed for the job.

After an incident kept him out of football for years, he was finally going to get his chance. He met with Fred Wilkins, his assistant coach, and they hit the ground running. Arne had to replace some of the staff that left and get to recruiting immediately. It was demanding, but he loved it. He had missed football so much and was very happy to be back. His vision was to transform the team from being an average team to being a winner. Will he succeed?

I enjoyed reading this book. The author shows the side of football that most fans are not familiar with. It was amazing to find out how demanding the game is. Winners have to give it their all and go the extra mile to achieve success. I also learned that sometimes the difference between good and great is self-confidence. 

Arne's character was my favorite. I liked how he approached his job with determination and the will to win. It changed how I lived my life. I now approach life with the will to win and be prosperous. As good as Arne was, he was flawed. He wasn't a team person, but I liked that he worked on his communication skills.

I found nothing to dislike about the book. It was well-written and easy to understand. I couldn't find any grammatical errors, which showcases its flawless editing. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I found no reason to deduct a star. I recommend this book to people who are interested in knowing what goes on behind the scenes in football.

Pacing the Sidelines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

This book is a compelling sports fiction novel that delves into the intricacies of college football through the eyes of a non-traditional coach, Arne Viimets. The book is praised for its realistic portrayal of the sport, the life of a coach, and the dynamics of a university football team. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”