Review of The Object of My Affection

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Daisy Lou
Currently Reading: Trust Signals
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daisy-lou.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Review of The Object of My Affection

Post by Daisy Lou »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Object of My Affection" by Cynthia A. King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This enchanting book took me on an emotional rollercoaster, evoking laughter and tears while delving deep into the intricate tapestry of love’s trials and tribulations. Cinthia A. King’s The Object of My Affection is a literary gem that sparkles like a diamond in the rough, gripping my attention from start to finish, making it utterly impossible to set aside.

The protagonist, Mary Margaret, a spirited artist with a heart of gold, embarks on a noble mission to uplift inner-city youth through the transformative power of art. Having endured the challenges of age and past heartaches, Mary Margaret faces another emotional trial when she encounters John, a handsome man whose gentle spirit sees past her guarded façade. Against all odds, their burgeoning friendship blossoms.

From the very first page, The Object of My Affection bursts forth with rom-com flair, introducing us to the unforgettable character of Mary Margaret—a middle-aged dynamo whose sharp wit and endearing quirks leap off the page. King masterfully weaves a captivating narrative that blends romance with poignant explorations of passion, race, culture, and family dynamics. While the journey is exhilarating, a word of caution for sensitive readers, the narrative tackles the darker corners of the human experience involving physical and mental abuse.

As the plot unfolds, we are treated to a symphony of engaging scene descriptions and internal introspections, drawing us deeper into the lives of the well-crafted characters. The author’s creative use of dialogue rife with wit and crackling with sarcasm is like a bridge over a river of hurt, loneliness, and pain. Backflashes and emotional turmoil provide engrossing rising action. When the story arc reaches its climax, we feel Mary Margaret’s horrific pain, then delight in the narrative’s resolution.

While the tale is brimming with potential, it is marred by grammar issues and formatting quirks, particularly in instances where dialogue and action intertwine, causing confusion within the same paragraph—a minor flaw that detracts from an otherwise memorable reading experience.

In conclusion, The Object of My Affection is a captivating tale of resilience, redemption, and the enduring power of human connection. My recommendation is that while it is not without its imperfections, the heartwarming journey it offers is undeniably worth embarking upon. With polishing, The Object of My Affection has the potential to shine even brighter. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

The Object of My Affection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Daisy Lou :character-ariel:

"Anything you can imagine you can make real." -Jules Verne
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Thanks for your wonder review of "The Object of My Affection"! It sounds like a heartwarming story about finding love later in life. The protagonist's journey of rediscovering connection is especially intriguing. I'm definitely adding this book to my reading list!
Daisy Lou
Currently Reading: Trust Signals
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daisy-lou.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Daisy Lou »

Thank you! The story will resonate most with older, divorced people with grown children. I believe everyone has baggage and the way you approach life determines how heavy your "suitcase" is. I like the main character's snarky attitude. It was the only way she could deal with her baggage, and it was understandable. Super ending too!
Daisy Lou :character-ariel:

"Anything you can imagine you can make real." -Jules Verne

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”