Review of Back to Bremo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading: Somawise
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 54%

Review of Back to Bremo

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Back to Bremo" by Debby Hall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Back to Bremo by Debby Hall addresses some powerful social and cultural themes. Although this is a work of fiction, the raw emotions of the human condition elbow their way to the forefront of each chapter. Scandals threaten to destroy reputations and end lives in the maelstrom of small-town drama and deceit. Who can escape unscathed?

The protagonist, Roux, is a secure, fearless child when we first encounter her. She bravely stands up for whatever she thinks is within her rights. Feeling safe and loved, Roux lives ten years in Virginia before moving to New York. A family crisis draws her back to Virginia where everything she thought she knew goes awry. What could possibly shatter her world? Who has been keeping secrets? Will Roux ever be able to forgive the one man she has always hated?

I like the author’s writing technique. Hall skillfully switches points of view by devoting chapters to leading characters, giving readers a candid look at their individual perspectives. This technique helps readers decide for themselves who may be telling the truth. Hall advances her riveting narrative with stunning plot twists and character arcs. She masterfully shapes the characters' personalities using flashbacks. Her characters reveal themselves in what they say and do.

I also like the realistic dialogue. The characters are sometimes rude and sassy. Sometimes, they are sweet and funny. Some praise the Lord, and others curse like proverbial sailors. From cover-to-cover, the characters are relatable, and the story is plausible. The book was so intriguing that I couldn’t put it down.

I do not dislike anything about this book.

To acknowledge mature subject matter, readers should realize that this book cites incidents of rape, racism, misogyny, gun violence, substance abuse, animal abuse, pedophilia, incest, child abuse, and domestic violence. There is a prolific use of profanity in the dialogue. I recommend this book for adult readers. There are some editing errors. For this reason, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Back to Bremo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”