Review of 2044 Surviving the Aftermath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of 2044 Surviving the Aftermath

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "2044 Surviving the Aftermath" by Timothy Ruplin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

2044: Surviving the Aftermath is a science-fiction novel written by Timothy Ruplin. The book picks up where its prequel, 2044, left off, taking readers into a now post-apocalyptic Long Island. We follow Tim, our protagonist, as he grapples with the fallout of EMPs frying microchips, triggering societal collapse.

The book begins with Tim reflecting on past choices, including his involvement with the 164 recovery program and the rebellion against artificial intelligence. Tim and his family face the daunting task of preparing for winter while dealing with isolation as most people have migrated away. However, their troubles escalate with the looming threat of a Canadian invasion, led by Colonel Charlotte Caldwell and aided by none other than Monica Higgs, a former adversary. As tensions mount, Tim and his family must navigate a dangerous landscape, confronting their past and making tough decisions to ensure survival. Will they survive the invasion? What secrets will emerge in the midst of chaos? Dive into this gripping book to find out.

There are a lot of things I love about this book. I loved the characters so much. They were well fleshed out, and their actions and motivations were very understandable and, at times, relatable. This rang true even for antagonists like Monica and Charlotte. I enjoyed the dialogues between the characters, particularly when Tim shared his views on the reason behind the invasion and Alex's dialogue with Louis over his alcoholism. I also found it intriguing how the existence of God was something undeniable to AI and those influenced by it, like Monica and Missy. The pacing of the book was good, as no chapter dragged at all. The book and its prequel certainly did well to raise important questions regarding the future of humanity with regards to AI, economics, politics, and faith. While the book is a sequel, it was easy to read it as a stand-alone book as it did well to reference past events in a comprehensive manner. Ultimately, the book was an excellent read. So, I did not have any negative issues with the book.

I found only one error in this book. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for all the reasons already stated. I recommend it to lovers of dystopian science fiction novels.

2044 Surviving the Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”