Review of Playing Chess with Bulls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Review of Playing Chess with Bulls

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Playing Chess with Bulls" by Sarah P. Blanchard.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Playing Chess with Bulls
Sarah P. Blanchard.

This is a collection of 10 short stories. Some have a beginning and an end, and some are rather poignant scenarios taken from a time in someone's life with no written conclusions. The author encourages readers to imagine an ending and judge the characters themselves. They are not action-packed stories; they are not beyond the realm of imagination, but they are human experiences that also reflect society. Animals, usually horses, are mentioned in every story. I feel a sense of sympathy from the author: the plight of the feral pigs in 'Rift Zone' and the forced artificial insemination of the heifer in 'Lizzy Baby'. Also, the innocence of children is a theme throughout the book, in the near attack on Brandi in 'The Bus Driver' and the incident of sexual abuse on the nine-year-old Liz in 'Lizzy Baby.' Other subjects in the book include the terrible loss of a young baby and, on the other end of the scale, the conversation between a social worker and a 91-year-old woman regarding her claim for more home help. Both scenarios were poignant and sad.

Some stories are short but no less impactful, a testament to the author's excellent penmanship and masterful use of language. I found no errors, the descriptive passages were lovely, and I found nothing I disliked.

The section at the end regarding guns was thought-provoking. The women at the target practice discuss the 'Rust' tragedy and conclude that it was not an accident but a failure, and when asked why they own handguns, they point out that it's for their 'personal security'.

I enjoyed reading 'Playing Chess with Bulls' and recommend it for all ages (although children might not understand it). There was nothing to dislike, no grammatical errors, and I have written about why I liked it. I award it 5 out of 5 stars.

Playing Chess with Bulls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”