Review of The Object of My Affection

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Russell 5
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-russell-5.html
Latest Review: The Object of My Affection by Cynthia A. King

Review of The Object of My Affection

Post by Alex Russell 5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Object of My Affection" by Cynthia A. King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

On the surface, Mary Margaret leads a pretty happy life. She’s got a nice house, a cute dog, and a job she finds fulfilling. Sure, she may be divorced, but her ex and his new wife are like family, and her grown-up daughter is one any mother would be proud of. The one small catch is her love life, but a trail of broken relationships has taught Mary Margaret she’s better off on her own—or so she’s always told herself. Things change, though, when the handsome, charming John moves into town; suddenly, it’s more of a struggle sticking to her “don’t get too attached” policy. But with years of unaddressed hurt in her soul—more traumatic than she has ever been willing to admit—can Mary Margaret open herself up to happiness once again?

The Object of My Affection’s subtitle may call it a “later-in-life love story”, but really, it’s a story about healing—and a beautiful story, at that. No matter how far down a certain road you think you are, Cynthia A. King wants you to know that you can always find the right path. The emotional heart of her novel is entirely convincing, and she offers plenty of clear-eyed assessments of the ways in which love can grow, fade, or metamorphose into something completely new. As you would want from any romance, the story sparkles at its brightest when its two leads find themselves alone together; John and Mary Margaret’s conversations are at turns funny, endearing, and prickly, but above all moving. Both have checkered romantic pasts, and the reader is always left with an acute sense of what’s at stake for their future every time they’re face to face.

King writes so well about her characters’ emotional lives, however, that it can be frustrating when she veers off into other areas. The central romance could certainly benefit from a more tightly maintained focus, and several scenes are crying out for an attentive editor to thin them down. What’s more, the Kindle version of the novel unfortunately suffers from consistent and fairly major grammar and spelling errors, meaning the most it can be awarded is four stars out of five. Nevertheless, The Object of My Affection is still a life-affirming romance wonderfully told. King shows that no matter your age, happiness is always there on the doorstep. You just have to be willing to let it in.

The Object of My Affection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
jordan bobs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jordan bobs »

She’s got a nice house, a cute dog and sure, she may be divorced, but her ex and his new wife are like family, and her grown-up daughter is one any mother would be proud of. It’s a love story about someone who is married but still love someone else, well being married.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”