Review of Helen Bonaparte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Review of Helen Bonaparte

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Helen Bonaparte" by Sarah D'Stair.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book wherein you felt as though the writing was hypnotizing you? A feeling wherein the writing is more attractive than the story itself, such that you feel as though you are reading poetry in prose? Wherein the words just flow and connect, and you can’t help but fall in awe of the author's writing style? Well, I just read one such book titled Helen Bonaparte by Sarah D’Stair, and it ticked all of the above points.

To begin with, the story is very different. At least I hadn’t read a story of this sort before, and I was flipping the pages vigorously to know what happened ahead. So what is the story about?

Well, the story is about Helen, a middle-aged woman who is on a guided 8-day tour of Italy without her partner, Marcel, and their children. Against the backdrop of wonderful Italian cities like Venice, Rome, Florence, and others, Helen finds herself ensnared in a web of obsession and desire, the target of which is her tour guide, Marieke.

From the moment Helen arrives at her first destination, which is Venice, we can see how the narrative is gripping from the very beginning and is filled with longing and existential questioning. Helen is not much interested in interacting with her fellow travelers except for a man named Richard; however, as soon as Marieke arrives, we can see her energy shift and her obsession build. Does this obsession end? No; in fact, as Helen traverses Italy’s iconic landmarks from Venice to Florence to Pompeii, her fascination for Marieke only intensifies further, such that she imagines a whole erotic fantasy involving her and Marieke. If you want to know what happens next, then you should consider reading this book!

However, while the book’s main focus is Helen’s obsession, it also focuses on Helen’s reflections on literature, art, and the like, for instance, her fascination with ‘Michelangelo's David’ or her rumination at ‘The Basilica of St. Francis’ of Assisi. We can also see how Helen is reading one of the novels by author Patricia Highsmith, which was suggested by her husband Marcel, because coincidentally, the story of that novel takes place in the same places that Helen is going to visit, and strangely, it echoes with Helen's own existential crisis and the darker sides of her desires.

Coming forward to my thoughts on the book, I have to say that it was Sarah D’Stair’s writing that kept me hooked. I liked how she delved deep into the field of obsession and almost made you think about how uncanny yet understandable Helen’s desire for an erotic fantasy with Marieke is. The parts where Helen steals away Marieke’s scarf and does certain things have been beautifully written. Yes, these descriptions are intense, but they aren’t vulgar, and that, I believe, is because of the poetic writing style with which such parts have been written. This book is not only about eroticism but also about self-discovery and introspection about the deep desires humans have. Thus, due to all the aspects I just mentioned, I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I have nothing to dislike about the book. Having said that, readers who are not comfortable with erotic elements, sexual desires, obsessions, fantasies, and the like may not enjoy this novel as much as others who are comfortable with these subjects.

In conclusion, Helen Bonaparte by Sarah D’Stair was an interesting and different read for me. I had a good time reading it and would recommend it to those who enjoy reading stories that deal with the themes I mentioned above.

Helen Bonaparte
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Yes, I have been hypnotized by an author's splendid writing, and this alone has made the story intoxicating. Put this together with a good plot, and it is a no-brainer that one must read this story. I love Italy, and this woman's obsession is interesting. Thank you for this splendid review. I am adding this book to my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”