Review of Shawana, A Memoir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kenechukwu Okoye
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenechukwu-okoye.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Review of Shawana, A Memoir

Post by Kenechukwu Okoye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shawana, A Memoir" by Shawana Thomas.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Shawana, A Memoir by Shawana Thomas is a deeply personal and introspective account of the author's life experiences, written in the form of poems and reflections. The memoir begins with the author's childhood and early adolescence, where she reflects on her relationship with God and her parents' divorce. The author also shares her experiences with her first love, which she describes as a sexual encounter that left her feeling both curious and uncertain.

As the memoir progresses, the author delves deeper into her thoughts and feelings about love and relationships. She reflects on her desire for a romantic relationship and the qualities she looks for in a partner. The author also shares her experiences with depression and post-partum depression and how these challenges affected her relationships and personal growth.

I like many aspects of this book. One of the most notable aspects of Shawana, A Memoir is the author's raw and honest portrayal of her emotions and experiences. She writes with vulnerability and authenticity, making the reader feel as though they are right there with her as she navigates the complexities of life. Another strength of the memoir is the author's use of poetry to express her thoughts and feelings. The poems are beautifully written and add a rich layer of depth and meaning to the memoir. They also serve as a way for the author to process her emotions and gain a better understanding of herself.

I don’t dislike any aspect of this book. Shawana, A Memoir is a powerful and moving memoir that is sure to resonate with readers. Its raw and honest portrayal of the author's experiences, combined with its beautiful poetry, make it a standout in the genre. I didn't notice any errors while reading this book, which shows that it was exceptionally well-edited.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for the reasons I mentioned above. I recommend Shawana, A Memoir to anyone who is looking for a deeply personal and introspective account of one woman's journey through life. The memoir is a testament to the power of vulnerability and the importance of self-discovery. It is a must-read for anyone who is looking to explore their own emotions and experiences in a meaningful way.

Shawana, A Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”