Review of Life at the Precipice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Billionaire's Runaway Bride
Bookshelf Size: 768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Review of Life at the Precipice

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life at the Precipice" by R.F. Vincent.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Life at the Precipice by R. F. Vincent is about Travis Sivart’s journey to the town of The Segway (formerly called Pyrite Ridge) on Vancouver Island to interview the 30 people who lived there after obtaining a copy of their newspaper tied to a red balloon. Residents of The Segway are not allowed to smoke, drink alcohol, talk about current events, curse, partake in any delinquent behavior, or possess a camera. Rumor has it that it is the home of Bigfoot (Sasquatch) and a monster named Seggie in Segway Lake. The residents of The Segway are unique, and most do not live in traditional homes. Why did Travis want to go there? What does he discover? Why does the town have so many restrictions?

I liked that R. F. Vincent tied this fictional story to actual events, using footnotes to explain physics, navigation, legends, and space and time travel, among other things. Using figures helped me better understand how the residents’ homes looked. I would never have imagined a house made of garbage being attractive without the figure. I never knew that bees played such a vital role in our environment. As is typical when interviewing many individuals about the same thing, there is repetition, but this worked for this book because of each character’s different perspective. Each character is fully developed, with a background story of how and why they lived at The Segway and an explanation of the architectural design of their home.

Many people may not like all the restrictions placed on The Segway residents, but living somewhere without smoking, profanity, or destructive behaviors would be peaceful. I gave this professionally edited book 5 out of 5 stars because I enjoyed reading every page due to its many positive aspects. The author’s writing style flowed smoothly, leaving nothing to dislike about the book.

Anyone who enjoys reading fictional stories based on events involving sea monsters, spirits, physics, and navigation will enjoy this book. However, I will caution sensitive readers that it does contain non-borderline profanity.

Life at the Precipice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”