Review of Faking Fairytales

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Small Magics
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Review of Faking Fairytales

Post by Marie Chalupová »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Faking Fairytales" by Aimie O'Callahan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Memory is a fickle thing. It can be easily manipulated and influenced. Then, years later, it takes just a spark, and all those seemingly innocent memories appear in a new light.

Faking Fairytales: A Silent Daughter Speaks by Aimie O'Callahan is a memoir that begins with such a moment. Aimie thought her family was quite normal, but when she learns some unsettling secrets about her father, everything starts falling into place. We follow the author as she tries to process her disturbing past while facing her family, who would rather keep living in the lie. We also catch glimpses of her tumultuous life as her suppressed traumas manifest into serious mental health issues.

I must say, the quality of the writing truly impressed me. The memoir reads like a compelling novel. The author didn't dwell too much on her thoughts. Instead, she provided a lot of dialogue and even some email conversations. Along the narrative of the focused time period, when she is dealing with all these new revelations, we also get chapters that are collections of her memories. These snippets start as brief glimpses from her early childhood and gradually expand, offering an immersive exploration of her life experiences.

I must sincerely commend the author for bravely sharing her story, potentially resonating with others in similar situations. These stories often remain within the family to maintain their public image. In this regard, the author employs pseudonyms to safeguard their privacy. However, there is an urgent need for greater awareness. Without it, these cycles of trauma are destined to perpetuate, as evidenced by Aimie's wider family. It's crucial for people to comprehend how easily manipulation and gaslighting can distort someone's perspective.

Besides a few minor errors, I had absolutely no issues with the book. It is expertly written and eye-opening. Therefore, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

While the author recommends the book to those who may have experienced similar hardships, I believe it holds even greater significance for those who haven't. Gaining even a second-hand understanding of such experiences can equip individuals to navigate similar situations and foster empathy towards those who have endured them.

This book includes descriptions of psychological, physical, and sexual abuse, as well as mentions of drug abuse, self-harm, and suicide.

Faking Fairytales
View: on Bookshelves
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

The fact that this memoir is written like a novel makes this an attractive book to read. I see that the content is very heavy and deals with a lot of traumatizing experiences of the author. I congratulate her for writing this story. By doing so, she provides support for those who have suffered similar experiences and educates those who have not. Thank you for this concise and informative review. :techie-studyinggray:
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I have to say, what attracted me first when opening your review is the book's cover. The art is both sad and beautiful. Mesmerizing. It seems like it perfectly fits the story the author wanted to share.
It's always nice to have a memoir read like a novel. In my opinion, it makes the reader's experience easier.
Thank you for this honest review, keep up the good work!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

Discovering some family secrets may be truly devastating and may cause trauma. The author's ability to deal with what she went through and share it is worthy of appreciation. As you mentioned, her way of narrating the topic considered as an attractive factor. A wonderful and expressive review of the book.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

At first, I thought the title must suggest this book is an alternate take on fairy tales, but I was way off. The content sounds heavy-going; I agree with you; people who haven't experienced these kinds of traumas can understand what their friends/partners/colleagues have been through.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”