Review of The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Review of The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat" by Richard Trebilcock.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat, written by Richard Trebilcock, introduces readers to the happenings in four worlds as experienced and recounted by Toulouse the cat. In "Rust Belt Predator," we read about the condition of things in retirement homes, using Saint Anthony's as an instance, with a clear picture of the discrepancies between public display and what occurs behind the scenes. "Silent Assassin" shows how deadly and far-reaching revenge for a betrayal can be. "The Potato Wars" tells of a strange incident during World War II that leaves people wondering whether it's truly an accident or an act of war. "In Plain Sight" leaves us wondering how an artwork embodying such devastating memories could be on public display.

I enjoyed reading these four short plays and so much appreciated their societal, personal, political, and institutional commentaries. The incidents in each of the plays hold deep messages, things I think are very much needed in our increasingly superficial worldviews. For example, in "Rust Belt Predator," readers are introduced to the conflicted, convoluted realities in the deeper layers of the human mind using Boris, Sister Margaret, and John Bell as instances, pointing out the discrepancies between the "scented self" and its true form.

Actions and consequences are prevalent in the stories. There are so many lessons to learn from characters like Karl Boehm, Sister Margaret, Brayden, Jim, and Hans. Furthermore, I liked the attention put into crafting characters that I could relate to. For example, Juanita's grammar and mien suit her language competence, residence status, and bonding with senior citizens. Likewise, it was just incredible how characters are fashioned to exhibit traits that heighten certain situations and scenes, as can be seen in Hans' outbursts in "In Plain Sight." The editing is also impressive. I found just a few grammatical errors in the book.

However, there are areas that I think need some improvement. Some conversations are cut off midway. For example, Juanita was not given the chance to fully express her concern about Boris to John Bell. I already know, from the previous conversation, what the issue is, but it's only appropriate to conclude the matter if it is being brought up again. Inserting some space between the ending of a scene and the beginning of another would improve the outlook of the text. Also, I think it's unusual that Claudette, a part-time cleaner, should be the one informing Sister Margaret about the situation with Boris and the police investigation. I thought Sister Margaret should be current and well-informed, being the administrator of the facility.

Because of the above concerns, I am removing a star and rating this book four out of five stars. The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat is such an intriguing story loaded with insightful lessons about life and living, and I think it would appeal to every adult reader.

The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”