Review of The Time Cave - Spanish Main

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alida Spies
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Circle Of Pearls
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 59%

Review of The Time Cave - Spanish Main

Post by Alida Spies »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Time Cave - Spanish Main" by Trevor Anderson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Many boys dream of great adventures where they show great courage, fight bad guys and emerge as heroes. In Trevor Anderson’s book, “The Time Cave - Spanish Main,” two boys experience adventures they never even dreamed of.

Jack and Tom are best friends and live on the north coast of Cornwall, in southwest England. They are both twelve years old and typical 21st-century boys. They love spending time fishing and snorkeling. On the first day of their holiday, they row their skiff to their favorite fishing spot, but a strong current forces them into Mennan Cave, a place they always avoid.

Tom and Jack end up in the 18th-century Caribbean Sea. Pirates roamed the area known as the Spanish Main at the time. One of the most feared pirate captains, Edward Boyle, kidnaps them and forces them to become part of his crew on the Pelican. The boys meet Jasper and Kate, brother and sister, captured by the pirates a year earlier. The pirates captured the children for ransom but failed to release Jasper and Kate once their father had met the demands. Together, the children plan to escape, but many obstacles exist.

Ralph is the Pelican’s cook and one of my favorite characters. He is always happy, has pride in his work and shows kindness to the boys. Although some meals are inedible, Tom and Jack appreciate Ralph’s kindness and help him when they can.

The story includes a vicious battle at sea, storms, shipwrecks, escape, ingenious survival skills and the loyalty of friends. Will Jack and Tom be able to return to their parents in the twenty-first century? The boys are consistently brave and clever but fear they will be stuck in the eighteenth century forever. Read this entertaining novel to determine the fate of the two protagonists.

I loved how the author explored the boys’ feelings when faced with traumatic occurrences. Despite their scary situation and uncertainty about their future, they retained their moral standards and sense of humor.

I disliked nothing in the book. It is a wonderful book for children aged 9 to 13, jumping from one adventure to the next. Many adults will enjoy it as well.

This book requires another round of editing, as I discovered numerous errors.

As a result of the errors, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It is action-packed, entertaining, and educational.

The Time Cave - Spanish Main
View: on Bookshelves
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

Adventure books are my thing and I love how the boys Jack and Tom partaked on this adventures that involves pirates, such a fantastic adventure.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”