Review of Unbound

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 997
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Empowered By the Dream by Gladys A Barrio

Review of Unbound

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unbound" by Jocelyn Maxwell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Unbound by Jocelyn Maxwell is a novella that takes us on an incredible journey of self-discovery and empowerment.

The book revolves around Chloe. Not too long ago, Chloe was happily married to Max. They were so desperately in love that they decided to undergo a bounding ceremony on their fifth marriage anniversary so that they could feel each other's emotions. However, nothing good ever lasts forever. Max leaves Chloe. Now, Chloe has to feel all of her ex-husband's emotions. She even has to deal with his feelings for his new girlfriend. One day, Chloe decides to take back the reins of her life. She sets out to unbind herself from Max.

Will Chloe be able to free herself from Max, or will she succumb to society's pressures and continue to deal with his emotions? Most importantly, will she be able to find herself and live her life to the fullest?

Jocelyn Maxwell's Unbound is a short book with a powerful message. In just a few pages, the author shows us the importance of pursuing our own happiness instead of letting life pass us by.

Chloe has to undergo five steps to unbind herself from Max. Each of these five steps reveals a different aspect of Max's and Chloe's relationship. We also get to know about how their love story started. The way the author portrays the deterioration of their marriage is admirable. Maxwell does not place the entire blame on Max. I like how she shows us that Chloe is to blame as well. Chloe's own reflections about her relationship and life in general are masterfully depicted.

Chloe is a brilliantly crafted character. She is very relatable. The struggles that she goes through are something that we all have to go through at some point in life. I could really empathize with the part where she had to decide between her job and her long-overdue travel plans. Gaby is a good friend. She is there for Chloe. Yet, her bond with Max did not endear her much to me. Max is a well-developed character. Though we mostly get to know about him through Chloe's recollections, we form a fair idea about him. Azalea is a great character as well. Apart from Chloe, my favorite character is Jane. She and her daughter, Alana, have a small role to play. Yet, their presence is powerful.

Jocelyn Maxwell is a talented author. Her use of a first-person narrative completely enmeshed me in Chloe's story. The vivid writing style made me feel everything Chloe was feeling. In fact, I felt like I was bound with her. Also, I love the concept of bounding. Though magical, the concept is realistically handled.

Overall, I really enjoyed Jocelyn Maxwell's Unbound. I did not find anything to dislike apart from a few errors. I rate Unbound by Jocelyn Maxwell 4 out of 5 stars. I had to take away a star as I found a number of errors. A round of editing will easily fix these errors.

I highly recommend this novella to fans of character-driven novels. People who enjoy stories of self-discovery will love this book.

Unbound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sean Patrick Tracy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-patrick-tracy.html
Latest Review: Olympus Bound by Zoë Routh

Post by Sean Patrick Tracy »

"Unbound" by Jocelyn Maxwell sounds like a compelling novella that delves into themes of self-discovery, empowerment, and the complexities of relationships. Chloe's journey to free herself from the emotional burden of her ex-husband's feelings is depicted with depth and nuance, offering readers a powerful message about pursuing happiness and living life to the fullest. The portrayal of Chloe's character, along with the supporting cast, adds depth and relatability to the story. Maxwell's use of a first-person narrative and vivid writing style effectively immerse readers in Chloe's emotional journey. Despite some errors, the overall experience seems to be highly enjoyable and thought-provoking. As a prospective reader, I'd be intrigued to explore Chloe's story and discover the themes of self-discovery woven throughout the narrative.
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

Powerful message about pursuing happiness in “Unbound”and Chloe’s journey to self-discovery is relatable and well-portrayed. A few errors aside, “Unbound” is a compelling novella worth reading.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”