Review of Hi, I'm Andy. Ask me anything

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The AI Affair by Stephen Fennell

Review of Hi, I'm Andy. Ask me anything

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hi, I'm Andy. Ask me anything" by Alan Perrins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Andy possesses an incredible talent for answering any question with precision, whether it involves solving complex mathematical problems, locating misplaced items, identifying pets, or even confirming the color of undergarments. However, certain rules must be followed, such as a payment of a pound for each question, no inquiries about sports or lottery numbers, and a limit of one question per person per day. Despite not owning a smartphone or having any social media accounts, Andy's exceptional skill has made him a social media sensation, with influencers flocking to London's Tube stations to witness his abilities firsthand. Although many people wonder about the source of his information, most ask questions merely to confirm his authenticity. With a slight tilting of his head and fluttering of his eyelids, Andy always responds accurately, leaving the crowd in awe. However, during one of his typical train rides, Andy meets William, a sophisticated CEO, and their encounter leads to a peculiar entanglement in their lives. Was this meeting a random coincidence or a part of a larger scheme?

Alan Perrins combines dark, humorous, and inspirational elements to explore concepts of reality, consciousness, and human behavior in Hi, I'm Andy. Ask Me Anything. It offers insights into topics like near-death experiences, psychic abilities, death, and the afterlife from perspectives that go beyond conventional religious and scientific explanations. The book also examines people's attitudes and challenges stereotypes.

The setting reinforces the themes. Train stations are a good representation of diversity and everyday life. In a typical commute, unexpected and amazing things can happen. Certain interactions can change lives. Social conventions make people judge others, but true behaviors are revealed in tight circumstances. In the narrative, it was a homeless man who demonstrated kindness and generosity by helping someone in need. The story also juxtaposes the rich and the underprivileged, showcasing the nuances of behavior. People from different backgrounds can be greedy, whether dressed in a threadbare coat or an expensive suit. Additionally, having more money does not always mean a sense of fulfillment and purpose.

By eliciting emotions, the characterization helps the audience connect to the story. Readers may find one character's naivety irritating, while another's greediness may make them cringe.

The book covers many topics, but my favorite part is the approach to death and the afterlife. While the protagonist's initial approach could be unfavorable, the attitude shift becomes more optimistic and motivating as the narrative progresses. The story removes the awkwardness of discussing and preparing for death in some way. The presentation also goes beyond traditional religious explanations.

The visuals in comic book style accurately correspond to Andy's description in the text, enabling readers to visualize him while reading. Moreover, every chapter opens with an illustration. While they offer visual breaks, most are too abstract to establish an apparent association with the text.

Although I have some personal observations, there were no negative aspects to the book. The part about the horse races was lengthy and drawn out, causing the pace to drag slightly. It could have been more concise to make the book shorter and quicker to read. Furthermore, the book lacked complete descriptions of acronyms. I suggest providing the full term the first time it is used to establish its meaning.

The story has a conversational tone and simple language, making it easy to read. The swear words are part of the characterization. It does not contain any sexual content, but there are scenes of gore, torture, and violence. There is nothing in the book that would offend religious groups. The target audience is sixteen and older, and anyone interested in near-death experiences, psychic abilities, death, and the afterlife would enjoy it. It will appeal to those keen on hilarious dark tales that explore the nuances of human nature.

The insights are thought-provoking, and the humorous components balance the dark elements, ultimately aiming to inspire and enlighten. I must take away a star due to the number of editing issues, but overall, I give it a four out of five because it was a compelling read.

Hi, I'm Andy. Ask me anything
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The theme of this book is intriguing, especially after reading your review. It seems like the character Andi in the book is portrayed as someone who is capable of answering all questions. Interesting writing. Thank you for creating this review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”