Review of Bullies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Review of Bullies

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bullies" by Paul Ownman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bullies by Paul Ownman is a heart-wrenching exploration of the harsh realities of schoolyard harassment and its dire consequences.

The story revolves around Daniel Cotter, a seventh-grade student at St. Pelagia Catholic School, who is involved in a group that persistently bullies Taylor Smith, a fellow student. Following his suspension for these actions, Daniel is sent home, where he tragically ends his life. Daniel’s suicide triggers deep introspection within the community, prompting a reevaluation of its complicity in nurturing a culture of bullying. The novel explores themes of guilt, accountability, and redemption. The ripple effects of Daniel's death are profound, heavily affecting his teacher, Emma Janssen, and the school principal, Julie Bates, both of whom wrestle with intense guilt. Daniel’s family faces extreme sorrow, while the school’s staff and students are forced to address the ramifications of their actions. This catalyzes a crucial discussion among the wider school community, including parents and local officials, about enhancing school culture and strengthening support systems to better protect student welfare.

As a parent, this book has profoundly impacted me. Reading each chapter and witnessing the aftermath of such a tragedy, I found myself deeply reflecting on the relationships within my own family. The story emphasizes the critical importance of communication and understanding between parents and children. It urges us to look beyond the surface, recognizing the silent struggles our children may face. It also underscores the importance of creating an environment where they feel safe and supported to share their fears and challenges. I was also moved by the author's depiction of the people impacted by this tragedy as 'becoming completely unglued.' The way the characters disintegrated throughout the story was palpable. The emotions conveyed—shock, grief, denial, awkwardness, hysteria, trance, anger, sadness, and fear—were portrayed with vividness. Another profound element of the book is how guilt relentlessly and unjustly consumes those left behind. It serves as a poignant reminder of the far-reaching consequences of our actions and the silent burdens many endure.

I found nothing to dislike about this book; however, I initially struggled a bit with the large cast of characters. Fortunately, the author effectively addresses this by keeping the chapters short and focused, emphasizing actions and emotions over intricate details. Additionally, there is a helpful list of characters at the end of the book, presented in the order they appear, which aids in keeping track of everyone.

The book appeals to a broad readership. Parents and educators will find valuable insights into the dynamics of bullying. Young adults will also connect with the challenges the characters face. Mental health advocates and readers interested in social issues will appreciate the novel’s exploration of the psychological effects and moral complexities involved. However, I must issue a caution that the book addresses sensitive issues such as suicide, death threats, drug and alcohol abuse, mental health concerns, and child abuse. These topics might not be suitable for all readers, so discretion is advised.

In conclusion, Bullies by Paul Ownman offers a gripping and insightful exploration into the severe impacts of bullying on individuals and communities alike. While it tackles a range of heavy topics with unflinching honesty, Ownman's narrative is both moving and educational. Despite the initially overwhelming cast of characters, the author thoughtfully includes a list to help readers track them, which mitigates any confusion and doesn't detract from the book's overall excellence. The book appears to have been professionally edited, as evidenced by the very few grammatical errors encountered. Consequently, I award this book a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. I trust that Bullies will offer you as revelatory an experience as it did for me, opening your eyes to the complex dynamics of bullying and its aftermath.

Bullies
View: on Bookshelves
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Being bullied in my childhood, this book feels like it will resonate with me. Your review only intensifies my desire to read it. Thanks for writing this. What an excellent review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The hyena stare
Bookshelf Size: 80
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 14%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

I love this review and I am also a new mom who will be taking this toddler to school some day. I'm worried also like every other parent about what happens when I am not there to protect my daughter. This is a good read and I'll be reading it soon.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Grids of the Word Crosser - Complete Edition by Daniel Fonkem

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 09 May 2024, 03:41 Being bullied in my childhood, this book feels like it will resonate with me. Your review only intensifies my desire to read it. Thanks for writing this. What an excellent review.
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced bullying. It must have been challenging. I hope this book will be beneficial to you in any way possible and won't trigger any negative memories.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Charmaine Mahlangu wrote: 09 May 2024, 07:06 I love this review and I am also a new mom who will be taking this toddler to school some day. I'm worried also like every other parent about what happens when I am not there to protect my daughter. This is a good read and I'll be reading it soon.
Congratulations on your new journey into motherhood; parenting is filled with challenges and concerns. I believe it's essential to focus on nurturing their resilience and having faith in their abilities. However, the worry never completely fades away.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Path to the Priestess Temple by Dianne Adel

Post by Kristin Cowan »

This sounds like a good reference for schools to create bullying policies!
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Kristin Cowan wrote: 11 May 2024, 18:11 This sounds like a good reference for schools to create bullying policies!
Yes, you make an excellent point; it's definitely a wake-up call worth pondering.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”