Review of Secret of the Hindu Kush

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Review of Secret of the Hindu Kush

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secret of the Hindu Kush" by Anthony Stone.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Secret of the Hindu Kush by Anthony Stone is about the life experience of Omar, the son of Ali Khan; his happiness, difficulties, selfishness, and maturity, which groomed him into becoming the true son of Ali Khan, becoming an Afghan. This novel gives a glimpse into the lives of people in the war zone, the politics involved, religious influence, and how external bodies influence war in a country. 

Omar grew up in a community filled with sand, blood, and pain, with a quest to become bold in order to lead the clan against the invasion of Russii and other invaders. Their stepmother, Fatima, caused the kidnapping of Sikandur and the poisoning of their mother due to jealousy and anger, consequently leading to her death by stoning. Omar never lived a normal life because he lives the life of his brother and feels the pain of his life journey. The mystery of his clan and the lessons in life tore him more than they would have made him. Read Secret of the Hindu Kush to find out more about his journey to becoming a true Afghan.

I totally loved how this book started. It starts with the suspense of the twins (Omar and Sikander), the discovery of their stepmother's conspiracy, their education, and their grooming. Being young makes them not understand that it is a conspiracy. The novel continues with the demand for Omar to become stronger and lead their clan. The life of Sikandur shows the life of the most unfortunate children in a war zone and a twisted religious society stemming from Mahlim, who used religion to twist his mindset. Unfortunate events from Afghanistan to America, coupled with unguided morals, led to the development of his twisted character and questions about who he was. 

I love the way the whole cast of characters were connected, the past grudges, and the hope of salvation for Ali Khan's family. Although I had the desire for a perfect happy ending, the end of each character was worth the role they played. The novel begins with the conception of being magical, but the bulk of the content is more about reality intertwined with history, making it interesting. The novel shows the familial love and the unique way Ali Khan loved his family, although his family didn't understand until the tragic events brought all of them together, and the realization came later. Each character performed their role perfectly, and the consequences of their actions were seen.

What I disliked about this book was the fact that the magical aspect dwindled in the middle of the novel. Aside from this fault, all other aspects of this novel are perfect, which is why I am rating it 5 out of 5 stars. The book's editing was also perfect. The negative aspect is minor and does not warrant the removal of one star from the rating. I recommend this book for anyone who loves stories about history with suspense, intertwining between myth and reality.

Secret of the Hindu Kush
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”