Review of Hattie's World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Hattie's World by Thomas Bauer

Review of Hattie's World

Post by Ika Apro »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hattie's World" by Thomas Bauer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hattie’s World by Thomas Bauer tells us the story of a young, troublesome Owen Winthrop, who disrespects his family to the point that he is banished. With the money from his father, he visits California, the land of dreams coming true, and starts executing his business plans. With much dedication, he becomes the most successful man in one of the villages, but he needs a wife to be socially acceptable. After getting married with the sole purpose of having a child, Hattie is born. Owen’s world lights up with the birth of his daughter, but how can he raise a child when he, as a kid, was very unethical and still doesn’t respect women around him? The world always teaches people their lessons, and once again, we see that what goes around, comes around. Owen finds himself suffering the pain of those he had harmed before through his daughter. 

This book was sometimes disturbing to read, yet it displayed a very interesting story. I loved how the author passed Owen’s mistakes onto her daughter as consequences since it made the book more symbolic and realistic. I enjoyed his writing style, as events developed continuously and led to one another. I loved how clear and easily readable it was. I couldn’t put the book down. The story was a very interesting case for me as a psychologist, as I got to solve the reasons behind the character’s actions. It was an enjoyable, but sometimes disturbing, read. 

Aside from the positive points, the book contained many errors, which makes me think that it wasn’t professionally edited. 

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted a star for the severity of the errors. Otherwise, the book is great. 

I would recommend the book to audiences older than 18 years old since it contains a few brief, mature scenes. Lovers of adventure and tragic romance would probably find it more interesting. I’d also like to add that those who are especially sensitive towards SA or coldhearted marriages might be triggered. 

Hattie's World
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not really a fan of romances, but the rest of this novel sounds very good and since you barely mentioned the romance I think that I will try it. Thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”