Review of The Omega Course

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
João Ramos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: 4 Daniel A Precolonial History and My Life History in Rhodesia and Zimbabwe by Edmund Katso

Review of The Omega Course

Post by João Ramos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Omega Course" by Paul Clark.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Even though I'm Catholic, I love reading books with Christian themes even if I know that these works will address possible "historical inconsistencies" in the Bible and similar issues. As a teenager, I loved reading books by David Strauss and Ernest Renan. So when I saw the book The Omega Course by Paul Clark for review, I didn't even think twice about selecting it.

The script is very straightforward: Ross Collins is an ordinary English boy who, after getting his driver's license, is involved in an accident that ends up taking a woman's life. From then on, the happy young man becomes withdrawn and sad. Trying to overcome the pain and find relief for his conscience, he decides to join the Alpha Course, a Christian group that seeks to spread the message of Christ to everyone. One of the people attending this group will be Omega Bee, the theology student who is losing her faith. The most intelligent ideas in the book will emerge from the interaction with this girl, and then a parallel group that will give the book its name will be created.

What I liked most about this work is that it presents much information in an easy-to-read and accessible way. It would be much more "boring" to study the history of the Bible academically. Putting it in a context like this makes everything more fun. Even as a Catholic, I was not dissatisfied with the book's direction. For some people, what happens to Ross in the end may be the only way for him to find redemption.

What I liked least about the book was the immense number of profane words. I understand that most events involve young people, but the number still seems excessive. Just so the reader knows what I'm talking about, the word "bastard" appears 21 times, and more than ten other profane words emerge as the reader reads the book. That isn't necessarily a defect (more a style issue), but I didn't particularly like it. The book has only two grammatical errors: lack of punctuation, and the name of a football player is spelled missing an "i."

Overall, The Omega Course is an educational, profound, and touching book. The author created a story of overcoming adversities, which creates a favorable scenario for people to learn more about the history of religion in a playful way without that academic tone. As the “defect” in the previous paragraph is more a question of style than a flaw in itself, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone interested in exploring the history of the Bible. While the central theme is Christian, the author has skillfully avoided an overly religious narrative. Instead, he introduces characters from diverse backgrounds, each offering their unique perspectives and shedding light on historical inconsistencies. The book ultimately adopts a humanistic tone, fostering respect for all religions. It is a book for everyone, not just Christians. However, it's important to note that the book does contain some mature content, making it suitable for readers over 18.

The Omega Course
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Julius Peters »

Paul Clark's "The Omega Course" brilliantly intertwines a compelling narrative with accessible theological exploration. Despite its mature language, the book offers a profound and educational journey through the history of the Bible, making it a must-read for anyone interested in religious studies. The diverse perspectives and humanistic approach enhance its appeal beyond a purely Christian audience.
Somto Nwachukwu 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somto-nwachukwu-1.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Somto Nwachukwu 1 »

It is a huge positive that the book presents information well like the reviewer highlights. The excessive nature of profanity may pose a problem.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can understand how the circumstances altered Ross’ life’s trajectory. His involvement with the Christian group and the discussions of Bible history only seem to add to the appeal of this novel. Thanks!
George Okello 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-george-okello-2.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by George Okello 2 »

It is nicely done review.It made me eager to read the book myself

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”