Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by grace ruhara »

Duke Reynolds's skills are unbelievable. How does a human being swallow a sword or breath fire?? What about acting like a blockhead. He sounds like an amazing character. I would definitely read the book to find out more about him. Thank you for the review.
Eisha Nadeem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eisha-nadeem.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Eisha Nadeem »

This review provides a thorough analysis of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson, focusing on its character-driven narrative and exploration of themes like addiction and redemption. The reviewer praises the well-developed characters and their interactions, finding humor and depth amidst serious issues. They highlight the book's suitability for readers interested in nuanced storytelling, despite its heavy themes. Overall, the review offers a compelling recommendation for those seeking a thought-provoking read.
Chad Anthony
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Delightful Hands by Andrew Pace

Post by Chad Anthony »

The portrayal of the characters' struggles with addiction feels authentic and adds depth to the narrative. It's commendable how the author navigates such sensitive topics with both honesty and empathy.
Malleswararao Dasari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malleswararao-dasari.html
Latest Review: At Vitoria by Marcia Riman Selz

Post by Malleswararao Dasari »

This review provides a comprehensive overview of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid," highlighting its focus on character development over action. It explores the struggles of protagonists Duke and Gary, emphasizing their battles with addiction and personal growth. The division into three parts and the inclusion of humor in dialogue add depth to the narrative, making it a compelling read for those interested in complex characters.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

I appreciate how the review delves into the characters' complexities, making them relatable despite their flaws. It's refreshing to see a story where imperfections are embraced rather than shunned.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Alexander Victoria »

The juxtaposition of Duke Reynolds' daredevil performances and Gary Robinson's downward spiral into addiction paints a vivid picture of two contrasting lifestyles colliding in 'The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Thanks for the review! A character-driven book featuring likeable, flawed characters struggling with addiction and their journey of self-discovery sounds interesting. I hope Duke succeeds in trying to save Gary from himself.
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

This definitely seems like an interesting book I'd enjoy reading. I love reading about friendship. And it seems Gary and Duke found a friend in each other. I wonder how they navigated their addictions after meeting. Did their friendship help with their struggles? Did it make it worse? I'd like to read the book to find out more. I love that the author incorporated humor in the book. I think that makes it easier to read about such a serious topic as addiction.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
Kirui Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

The author brings out the journey of Duke towards self discovery. Discovering your abilities is paramount. Thanks for the review.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

"The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Robinson is a novel that delves into the journeys of Duke Reynolds and Gary Robinson as they confront addiction and search for self-awareness. Through their interconnected tales, the book delves into the complexities of human struggles, redemption, and personal growth with sincerity and compassion.
twinkle09
Currently Reading: Tactile Therapy: Volume One
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkle09.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by twinkle09 »

Gary and Dukes' character development is the pivot around which the story revolves. They both seem to live for the moment abd their meeting creates an interesting part in the book. I look forward to enjoy the book. Congrats on BOTD!!
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

One profound takeaway from "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson is that addiction and excessive partying are not beneficial. Congrats on BOTD. Nice review.
Victoria Zoe
Currently Reading: The Divine Memoir
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-zoe.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Victoria Zoe »

Duke Reynolds and Gary Robinson are the major characters that are in the narrative about The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid. They had one form of influence on the other. Congrats on the book of the day and a satisfactory review.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: “TREMAINE” by James Harold Kelly
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

It's amazing to see two lives merge and influence each other in different ways. It will also be lovely to learn about the Sword Swallowers survival techniques. Congratulations to the author.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”