Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

This story feels both cautionary and interesting. It zeroes in on the life of two characters who are high-flyers in their endeavours but whom suffered significant retardation due to an addiction; Surprising, they had the same addiction. Fate would later bring them together and despite their problems, they managed to lead a cheerful life.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Yes I do like character-driven stories and this one is already on my list to read. Drug addiction and alocholism are pevelant in today's society, so they don't seem out of place as the basis of a novel either. I'm looking forward to reading this.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by the the lives of Duke Reynolds, the sword swallower, and Gary Robinson, the Chico kid. I am intrigued by Duke's sword-swallowing skills as well as his fire-breathing skills. I am interested in learning how Gary's entrance to Duke's life will affect him.
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson is a story of two alcohol addicts who meet by chance. Duke Reynolds, a circus artist who is known as a Sword Swallower often gets into trouble due to his alcohol addiction, leading him to jail. On the other hand, Gary Robinson, a high school sweetheart, enters college but is caught in the vicious habit of alcohol. Their stories are not read by the people who don't like alcohol and drug addicts. The author has done a great job framing this book and the characters in it. This is a very informative and honest review. Thank you.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: Magi Apprentice by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Sky Revews »

The author explores heavy topics like addiction and self-destruction with honesty, making the characters' struggles and triumphs truly resonate. The novel doesn't shy away from the darker aspects of life but ultimately presents a hopeful message. Congrats on #BOTD
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Promiscuous Girl by Kelli Nicole

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

The review provided valuable insights. "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" is an intriguing fictional story by Gary Robinson, inspired by the author's personal relationship with sword swallower Captain Don Leslie. The narrative revolves around their connection, albeit with the sword swallower's identity changed in the novel.
Amanda Brouillette Gladden
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-brouillette-gladden.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.

Post by Amanda Brouillette Gladden »

If you want a book that pulls the heart strings and keeps your brain flowing, this is for you! It is a character driven book that can keep you wanting more. If you are sensitive to language, don't read this, otherwise it is worth every minute!
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

"The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson is divided into three parts, focusing on Duke Reynolds, a sword swallower, and Gary Robinson, a Chico kid. The book delves into their troubled lives, exploring alcohol addiction, partying, and odd jobs.
Ari Martinez
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. I love that the characters are likeable despite their addictions, and I love stories with good character development. However, I've never been attracted to books about addiction since it's not something I can relate to. I'm also not sure how to feel about the lack of action scenes — will the scenes still be interesting? This is definitely the type of book I would have to sample first before making up my mind. Thanks for the review.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 609
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

This sounds like a really nice read and exactly what I'm looking for. Duke and Gary seems to be intriguing characters with their own set of personal 'demons' to work through, so to speak. I can't wait to see how all unfolds. Lastly I'm glad there is humor in the book, since the topic is quite intense. Thanks for a detailed review. Congrats on BOTD.
sanjeev maurya
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Quantitative Research Made Easy by Claude Phiri

Post by sanjeev maurya »

It sounds like "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson offers a compelling character-driven narrative that delves into the complexities of addiction and personal struggles. Your review highlights the depth of the characters and their development throughout the story, making them relatable and engaging despite their flaws. The interactions between Duke and Gary seem to add a touch of humor and light-heartedness to the narrative, balancing out the more serious themes.

Your mention of the book's focus on character development and exploration of social and religious issues, along with its humorous dialogue, makes it sound like a thought-provoking read. While it may not be suitable for readers looking for action-packed thrillers, it seems to offer a rich and meaningful story for those interested in delving into the lives of complex characters.

Your rating of 4 out of 4 stars, despite noting a few errors, speaks highly of the book's overall impact and quality. Your recommendation for readers who enjoy character-driven stories and are comfortable with themes of alcoholism and drugs is helpful for those considering picking up the book.

Overall, your review has piqued my interest in "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid," and I look forward to experiencing the depth and complexity of its characters firsthand.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

'The Sword Swallower and a Chico kid' looks like it tells an intriguing tale of how two lives, each with their own issues, meet and make each other better. The book focuses on the development of each character and I look forward to reading it. Thank you for your review!
CHANTAL EWING
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantal-ewing.html
Latest Review: Unsilenced by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by CHANTAL EWING »

‪An amazing book, an inspiring story that uses reality and honesty to touch the reader's heart. The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson delves into how Duke came to be a sword swallower and it also includes two of his very close friends.‬
Sonia_Gonzalez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

Duke Reynolds loves performing as a sword-swallower. He grew up in the circus, having joined it very young, so he loves that life. Unfortunately, with the adrenaline of the show came the addictions. Gary Robinson became an alcoholic at a young age, making him skip class and spend most of his time partying. Soon, their lives will be intertwined.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 644
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid is a story about Duke Peterson and Gary Robinson, split into three parts. Part one is about Duke, Part two is about Gary and Part three is about the two of them after they meet.

Gary was a very outgoing popular guy in high school that was student body president and loved to party and drink. He went to college but wasted his four years partying and drinking and graduated without learning much or having a career to pursue. He missed class most of the time so it was probably a major achievement to actually graduate. Probably like some of my fraternity brothers that started as business majors and ended up in elementary education. No knock to teachers but the requirements for getting a degree were very different from completing a degree in accountancy.

Duke the Sword Swallower lives for the rush one gets from performing before a large group. Having a severe alcohol addiction gets him into trouble and he spends time in jail.

Gary's life was spiraling out of control due primarily to his alcoholism until he meets Duke. Besides drug and alcohol abuse there is humor and the characters do talk about social and religious issues. Not an action thriller but the book keeps the reader focused and it is a good story about survival and some success while battling addictions. Very good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”