Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kwamena Essuman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwamena-essuman.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Re: Official Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Kwamena Essuman »

Sounds quite interesting! Very different from what im used to. This review however makes me curious to find out if Duke was successful in guiding Gary down the "right path". I would actually love to read this book! Thank you this review!
Gayatri Tripathi
Favorite Book: E M P Honeymoon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayatri-tripathi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Gayatri Tripathi »

I thoroughly enjoyed your in-depth review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson. Your detailed summary of the book's structure, focusing on the lives of Duke Reynolds and Gary Robinson, added depth to my understanding of the narrative. It's intriguing to see how their paths intersect and the impact they have on each other's lives.

Your observation about the author's careful development of characters and exploration of their faults and insecurities is insightful. I appreciate that you highlighted the likability and humor in Gary's character despite his struggles with severe alcohol addiction. The light-hearted and funny interactions between Gary and Duke, even in the face of serious problems, seem like a unique and engaging aspect of the book.

Your mention of the book's focus on character development rather than action-packed thrillers is valuable for potential readers. The warning about the prevalent themes of alcoholism, drugs, and nudity, balanced with humor and discussions on social and religious issues, provides a well-rounded perspective for those considering the read.

Your decision to give the book a 4 out of 4 stars rating, despite a few noticed errors, speaks volumes about the overall enjoyment and satisfaction you derived from the story. Thank you for your honest and detailed review, making it clear why you recommend this book to those who appreciate character-driven narratives and are comfortable with themes of alcoholism and drugs.
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by Martina Sette »

Wow, that's incredibile! This book develops characters like Duke and Gary with humor amid serious struggles. I must read it, thank you!
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Great review! When I saw the cover of this book, I didn't think that I would like it, but from the sample and your review, I have changed my mind. I think that "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" is definitely on my "to-do" list.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sara Rispo »

It would be interesting to know how the characters develop in the story. I may give this book a try. Congrats on BOTD!
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

I like character driven stories. But this doesn't sound like a book that will interest me. Surely enough I wouldn't appreciate reading about addiction and nudity. Thank you for your comprehensive and thorough review.
Christianking
Currently Reading: How to Succeed After 55
Bookshelf Size: 6
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Christianking »

I think it's interesting when characters have various obvious vices, but the author creates them in such a way to make you root for them anyway. Glad you enjoyed this one. Thanks for the review.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This is an interesting read that simply flows. While the individuals have flaws, you are somehow still rooting for them. It has been a while since I’ve seen a sword-swallower at a circus, so it was weird being reminded of how scared I am for them.
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

This review brilliantly captures the essence and depth of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid." The contrast between Duke's adventurous spirit and Gary's descent from high school prominence is a poignant exploration of addiction's grip on different lives. What stands out is how the reviewer appreciates the character development, finding humor and humanity amid the darkness. The insight into the light-hearted interactions despite serious undertones adds a unique layer to understanding the novel's dynamics. It's refreshing to see an acknowledgment of the book's ability to address heavy themes with simplicity and humor.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Sheen Jenny »

Your mention of the book's focus on character development over action-packed thrills is intriguing. It seems like a refreshing change of pace from typical narratives, allowing readers to truly immerse themselves in the inner lives of the characters and their personal journeys.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

You effectively communicates the dual narrative structure, with the first part focusing on Duke Reynolds and the second on Gary Robinson, culminating in the two characters' intersection. The review appreciates the author's meticulous character development, particularly highlighting the flaws and insecurities of Duke and Gary. Congrats on BOTD.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to find how the paths of Duke Reynolds, the sword swallower, and Gary Robinson, the Chico kid will cross and how will this impact their lives and relationships with people around them.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I like that this book focuses on male leads and in a way shades light of their struggles while still keeping it light using humour.
Deborah Belanger
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Deborah Belanger »

This book, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson, sounds like a very interesting read. Thank you for your great review. Just knowing that Duke Reynolds, the sword swallowing and alcoholic becomes basically a mentor to Gary Robinson who also is an alcoholic but a college graduate made me put this on my "to read" list. I like that Duke is going to help Gary redeem himself before he finds himself as old as Duke before it happens. I'm looking forward to reading this story. Congratulations to the author for BOTD.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Essential Gut Health for Women Over 50 by JL Service

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

I'm a fan of action packed novels and movies, however I believed that there are times where we needs to unwind and remind ourselves that in this world, good manners and characters are essential for smooth and easy life. This is why its important for us all to read this book.
Last edited by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo on 05 Mar 2024, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”